Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help

Hi I'm new please tell me I'm going to be ok. I'm 33 female. Have had a sore back for few weeks tryed to take it easy did exercise. Then last Sunday woke up with horrendous pain in bum all down leg. Not able to walk its excruciating. It's been 6 days its pure agony managed to get tophysio who found it easy to manipulate me but no relief I'm back there in Monday. I can't take any anti inflamatory because I'm pregnant. on codeine and worried about baby I'm only 11 weeks. Can someone tell me how long this bout will last I can't move from floor. I'm crying all the time. Please help.

• Hi there, Gemma:

Sorry to hear about your pain. Unfortunately, no one can tell you how long your pain will last because everyone is different and you don't know what the real issue is.

It does sound like something is pinched (according to this lay person). Is there a way for you to see a chiropractor or an osteopath or someone who could assess the real issue and hopefully get you out of pain? Of course, there is also the option for an orthopedic doctor.

What I found is that if I SLOWLY stretch, it usually works itself out. And, if you have a hot tub or jacuzzi tub available - or even a really warm bath - if you can stretch while there is warmth on your body to loosen things up, that can help.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive because you probably don't want to move at all, but slow stretching could help if you are in tune with your body.

When I have lower back stuff going on, I take a tennis ball and stand against a wall with the tennis ball between me and the wall - and I push into the tennis ball down my spine - and it helps to loosen up the area and if something is stuck or pinched, while it hurts to press into at the moment - if I slowly and gradually press into it and take deep breaths, I find for me personally, it unpinches it that area.

I am not a doctor, but I know what has worked for me over the many years.

Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Thanks for replying. I can't believe I am still in so much pain. I will try to stretch and my physio is anti chiropractor and said he can do the manipulation so I guess for now that is what I'll go with. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Being in pain can feel so lonely.
  • Hi Gemma
    Sorry to hear of your pain, I know I the UK when a friend has this problem they gave her a lumbar support to wear during her pregnancy. I don't know if it will help, it did her and kept the baby warm lols.
    I do hope you find a solution soon
    Regards Dawnylou
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I also had back pain and sciatica down right leg when I was pregnant with my first child many yrs. ago :) The bigger my belly got the worse the pain was so I was given a band that went around my belly but worse it under belly and up around back so it took some of the pressure off my back. They wanted me trying to walk for exercise but by my 7th month it was just so painful to walk. That is when my back problems started way back in 1984 but was able to put off surgery until 1994. I had another child in 1990 and went through the same symptoms as before but was able to work until 7th month and walk until delivery. Being pregnant and back problems just dont work together but so worth it :) I used ice packs at all times when awake and while working would tuck them into my belly girdle...lol in the back so I could move around while icing back. Hardest part was no pain meds. I can't take codiene and during last trimester no Ibuprofen so was very miserable the last few months. I hope everything works out for you and if you ever have any questions of just want to vent please dont hesitate to PM me.

• Hello

I cannot relate to being pregnant with my kids as my back issues started when they were teens. My second baby liked to push on the femoral nerve but I could walk around and get her resituated. I wanted to suggest to talk to your doc as far as what stretches will be most helpful and about the brace. You might check your insurance too and check how durable medical equipment is covered.
    I know it's not much help but as I read your post I feel for you, its tough but you are NOT alone. I have found alot of support here, mostly reading.
    Take Care
  • Thanks for your comments everyone, I got my MRI results which say I have a L5s1 moderate prolapse that is hitting the sciatic nerve. I have begun to feel better. I am in my 6 week of this and I am walking around now and sometimes I have pain in Barack and not leg which I think they call centralisation which is a good sign am I right? My question now is will I continue to get better or. Kyle there be a chance I need surgery. I think the fact that I'm pregnant is a coincidence rather than this happening because I'm pregnant. Any more advice would be welcome.