Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decompression of L4/L5

I am going to have a Decompression of L4/L5 in May. Looking for any info and advice on it and what to expect. The surgeon said that the disc is pinching nerve root and caousing the low back and leg pain. As well as the numb leg feeling. They tell me they will cut away the part of the disc that is protruding and open the canal as it is becoming very narrow. Every thing I have seen has talked about fusing the two joints together, I don't think that iswhat they have in mind for me.
I've been suffering with this since an accident at work back in Oct. of 2011. Yes, the co. insurance wants to drag it out of course.

• I have had this procedure done 4 times, if it is just a decompression that would mean no fusion but just to be safe I would ask your surgeon. The first time I had the surgery I didn't know what to expect as far as post op pain, so that one was much more painful than the ones I've had since. The potential post surgery complications will be scar tissue, this has been my problem. Since they are cutting away tissue you will form a scar in the same place but hopefully not too much scar tissue that you experience the same issues again. From what I read walking is the key to preventing it, but in my case I just seem to be doomed to have it reoccur time after time. Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

This discussion has been closed.