Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coping with limitations following Fusion Surgery

macilmmacil Posts: 3
edited 03/24/2013 - 4:09 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 months out from spinal fusion surgery encompassing S1 to L3/4 and my doctor is suggesting that my limit of weight lifting may continue at 10 pounds for some time---or permanently. Any suggestions for getting luggage in/out of car, into airport, in overhead compartment, etc. while traveling alone. Also, unloading groceries, home supplies, gardening---just about anything I've ever done in the past, but don't seem permitted to do now.

• Macil:

I have progressed through the same experience (two level fusion in January 2011) that you described. The activities that I valued most and that I could no longer (should no longer) participate in were running, yard work, and gardening. These were stress relievers for me and a source of exercise. I grieved the loss.

Not being able to do them has taken me a good while to accept. I have never been one to ask others for help unless I am absolutely down, so now I am also learning to do that as well.

The grocery sacks were not a problem as my wife and daughter would easily perform that task. The only traveling I do is by car and often I must pack a bag. I minimize the amount of clothing so the bag is not too heavy. No air travel so far with the airport/airplane hussle and hassle - thank goodness.

The one item that did sneak up on me by surprize was my laptop bag. I never considered it to be of weight or a concern. Consequently, I learned how to not stick too much extra stuff in that bag.

Anyway, the mental/emotional challenge for me was acceptance of the condition (new me). After I got my male pride under control I then focused on how to adjust.

Good luck in the process, and know that you are not alone. Many others have done it, are doing it, and will do it.

• BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    It can be very hard to follow the lifting restrictions. Don't be afraid to ask for help in planes. Groceries can be bagged lighter. Speak up to the bagboys/girls. Most of the stores here will assist or carry to your car. You needto really be careful with the gardening. Bending lifting and twisting. Will be forgotten and then the damage can be done.2 months out is not very long considering your surgery. Just have patience. It really not worth messing up.
  • i had 2 level decompression and fusion from c5 to c7 and compectomy on c7 in 2007. on 3-16-2013 i had to have hardware removed from the previous surgery at c5-7, anterior cervical decompression fusion at c3 to 5 and c4 compectomy. I am employed in the construction industry and do very heavy manual labor with a lot of lifting, bending and walking in high areas during buildfing construction. i would like to know how this problem will affect my ability to perform my job functions. i was also diagnosed with spinal stenosis along with and cervical myelopathy.
    do i need to change occupation to a less strenuous job/