Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Re-herniated?

I'm 7 weeks post op for an L5/S1 microdiscectomy and laminectomy. I had a large fragment sitting on my sciatic nerve for 7 months. Up until last week I was feeling great, PT was going well and I was getting a lot of mobility back with very minimal annoyance from my sciatic. Last weekend I did some house work and probably pushed myself a bit too much and the next two days my lower back and leg were really sore (nothing new), but on Tuesday I went to take a sock off and an intense sciatic pain shot down my leg... it was the worst sciatic pain I had felt since this all started, I literally was breathing so heavy I almost fainted. Since that time I have taken a 6 day steroid pack and taken pain killers. The pain is less, but it's generally concerning because the pain happened in one instance and not just a hangover from pain that was already there. The nurse that gave me the steroids said it might just be a flare up from the sciatic because i made an awkward movement and agitated the nerve, but I'm scared about a reherniation. Does anybody have any insight on what the reherniation process is? How did it happen to you? Does this sound familiar? The pain is bearable and I'm not in a dire situation like some of the stories I've read on here and if this pain persists I can deal with it, but I'd like to get a sense of how I should go forward from people who know from experience.

Thanks!
Scott
advertisement

Comments

• BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I reherniated mine in the hospital bed the first night after surgery. New bone fragments were removed. Take it easy, don't panic and see where the pain goes and by all means keep in touch with your Dr.
  • Thanks Botz,
    How did your recovery go after the re-herniation? Have you had any issues since?
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    edited 03/27/2013 - 2:56 AM
    That was back in 1999. If you click on my name you can see some history. I had decompression surgery 1week ago and am doing well. If you look at the Topic March surgery buddies you can follow my journey. If you have any questions after that let me know and I can try to help.

Art