Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning in top of shoulder

I've been on here for a while, mostly because of lumbar issues, however earlier this year I had a c-spine MRI because of some neck issues and it came back showing an osteophyte complex causing nerve impingement. I had an injection that had no effect and the pain management doc said that was all he could do. Fast forward to this week and I've started having a burning pain in the top of my left shoulder. I can't induce the pain by pushing on it, it just depends on the position of my neck and position of my arm. Now I'm "assuming" this new pain is from the neck issue, I already have shooting pains into my arms when my neck is in a certain position, my question is does anyone have the same pain. Again I haven't seen the doc for this and it's only an assumption that this pain is due to the impingement and that's why I'm asking if anyone experiences this. Also it is on top of the shoulder in a very small area, as if a hot nail is being stuck into my shoulder. Thanks for your help.

Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• I have significant shoulder and arm pain. Lots or arthritis, shoulder and neck. I had the "hot nail" in the top of the shoulder, about mid way between neck base and top of arm. In 2010 a shoulder surgeon convinced me he could get rid of more than half of my shoulder and arm pain with a simple" decompression shoulder surgery. I bit. The only pain that went away was that hot nail on top of shoulder. So, not 50+%, only 10-% relief.

Have had lots of EISs, epidural steroid injections, did little to nothing. Injection point is usually at C7-T1, maybe C6-7. Doesn't help pain caused in upper/inner shoulder or cervical pain caused at or above C5.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    edited 03/26/2013 - 5:45 AM
    each other, many times what appears to be a problem in one is really the problem in the other.
    I would go back to the doctor who ordered the MRI. Since you have nerve impingement and are feeling it in your arms, I am sure that the doctor would want to re-visit or go with some action plan.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • StormSStorm Posts: 26
    edited 03/27/2013 - 12:47 AM
    My shoulder is hurting like **** sometimes, the doctors say it CAN come from the neck, so it's really difficult to say. does the pain radiate trough your whole shoulder or gets worse when you turn / move your neck?