Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise for degenerative disc disease

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me say that I'm a newbie to the site. When I was 7 years old I was diagnosed with spinal tuberculosis in the lumbar region, specifically in L4. This, among other problems that were successfully solved after surgery, caused quite a lot of thinning of the disc between L3-L4 and also a bit between L5-S1.
I'm now 19 and a few weeks ago I suffered from debilitating back pain which made it hard for me to even stand up or sit for prolonged times, however this pain has gone almost completely by itself. After checking with my doctor he told me that I also suffer from hyperlordosis and suggested me to wear a corset so that my exaggerated curvature would not cause faster thinning of the discs. He also said that I don't need to go see a physical therapist, though I feel like some exercise could help me greatly.
Thus, I wanted to ask you if it is a good idea to engage in simple exercises like pull ups or planks aimed at strengthening the core muscles, so that they could better support the spine. Right now these muscles seem quite weak to me since I have a mostly sedentary life and don't do any physical activity.

On an unrelated note, do you think I can hope in advancements in stem cell injections to cure degenerative disc disease?

Thank you for all your replies.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 04/11/2013 - 4:23 AM

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Hate to see someone as young as yourself with these kind of issues, but unfortunately it is the cards you were dealt. I disagree with your doctor you don't need therapy if you are unsure of the exercises to do? Sometimes at least one appointment can be good to learn proper movements to strengthen the areas you need. AS what might be good for you might not be for me and so on. However if you look on the doctor written and peer reviewed articles on the site you can find some very good exercise that can help. Here is a good place to start to learn more and if you look in the upper left corner there are more links that will lead you around. http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/what-degenerative-disc-disease

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.