Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waking up with pain

I have a herniated L5-S1 that is getting worse over the years.

A week ago I'm starting to feel pain when I shift position during sleep. This causes me to not shift position in my sleep, which makes the pain even worse in the morning.

My current solution is to set an alarm in the middle of the night so I would wake up and carefully shift position and go back to sleep. This way my back is not as sore in the morning. But it is annoying to have to do this.

Do you have this problem and what is your solution? Is there a bed that can massage while I sleep, or a bed that can shift my sleeping position - though I would hate to become dependent on it.

• A bed like that would be AMAZING! :) i wake up in pain every day as well. Even if my husband gets into bed, or turns in bed, I feel like my spine moves causing a shocking pain. i think I need that Temperpedic bed advertised where they have a wine glass sitting on the mattress! lol My fusion is scheduled in 2 weeks for L5-S1. Best of luck to you in finding a bed.
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • bmbutlerbbmbutler Posts: 90
    edited 03/28/2013 - 8:01 AM
    I use a regular size pillow making sure it goes between my knees and stops where my ankles can rest on it. I went a few days without using it and woke up everytime hurting. It was amazing the difference using the pillow. I also have a memory foam mattress topper.
  • I got a 4" memory foam topper for my mattress and it has helped considerably. If you take medicine, I'd recommend getting the cool cover from a Sleep Number store. It prevents heat from being transferred from your body to the mattress. Some medicines cause night sweats. The cool cover helps prevent that.

Good luck!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I still wake up in pain every morning and it often wakes me during the night, but

I bought a magnetic underlay and pillow and it did help with a searing pain I had like a knife had been stuck in my back and continually turned. That pain vanished overnight. Have no idea why it works to relieve some of the pain but it's worth a try. I bought an inexpensive one around $100.
  • when my neck pain would wake me cuz the oxy wore off I was put on a fentanyl patch but that stuff gave me the night sweats and stopped me up like a cork, I was glad to get the sleep I needed though and was glad treatments got me to were hydrocodone was enough.
    Jan 2007 Aortic and Pulmanary Valves replaced
    ACDF C4-C7 May 24 2013