Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

• White blood cells fight off infection. Not inflammation. With inflammation your platelets might be high which is what some drs use as a gauge. You could have something minor like a UTI or maybe a virus your body is fighting off. I just had my blood drawn today and I have a horrible cold. Waiting to see if that effects my wbc.

Do you know what your wbc count was?
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • Keytan said:
    Has anyone had a routine blood test during their bout with sciatica that has an elevated amount of white blood cells?
    I just has my 3rd blood test yesterday. I asked the lab tech what this 3rd test was looking for, she said leukemia!!!
    Maybe the white blood cells are attacking the herniation? this is what im hoping for. I would LOVE to hear from someone with a similar experience or any insight. im a little freaked out :(
    As a Medical Technologist I know for a fact that none of us, let alone any other medical professional drawing blood, would ever make such a statement! Indeed, to say that we're looking for "fill in the blank" is an extremely serious breach of our ethics and protocols. That is something that only a physician can tell you. Having said that, I think that I can tell you what the "lab tech" really was saying. The word for elevated white blood count is leukocytosis and that's all it means. There is nothing otherwise significant about that word. It is an uncommon word and easy to mistake for the word leukemia when hearing it, especially for the first time. This would not be the first time that I've heard of such an occurence.

I will not address any other issues regarding your white cell count as I am not qualified to answer any such questions you may have. As always, please discuss this with your physician.

Hope that helps.

Disability retirement