Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help ? Sciatic Pain NOT Relieved with Decompression

I hope someone might be able to suggest a direction for me to go. I have sciatic pain that came on after a fall on my right hip about 6 months ago at work. I additionally have Lyme Disease which I understand is inflaming this pain. The pain has become worse with time and is a constant everyday but of course gets worse with physical activity or standing for long hours at work. The pain radiates across my right buttock and down my right leg all the way to my tips of my toes. I go to a Chiropractor who uses a manual velcro strap decompression table and his adjustments to treat me. I feel very little improvement if any after going to him for some time now. I have not been to a Neurologist yet. The pain and sensations have a great impact on my daily activity and inactivity, I can't get up from bed or a chair without the pain kicking in. I only use Aleve, I take two first and then about four hours later need to take another. Hydrocodone (sp?) does not really help. I hope to have some advice or suggestions have you on what I might do. BTW, I don't know that it matters but I am 48 yr old female.

• I have that pain. I am scheduled for a fusion at L5-S1 with decompression on April 12th. My concern for you is if you let this go untreated you could have irreversable nerve damage. This is what my surgeon has said to me. You really need to make an appt with a neurosurgeon, get an MRI, and see how bad it is inside. Those nerves are being compressed, that is why there is pain. I have read that Lyrica, gabapentin/neurontin, & Cymbalta has helped some. I also saw at Walgreens by the pain relievers a bottle for "Sciatica Pain Relief". You could also try Alpha Lipoic Acid capsules as a more natural approach. But definitely get looked at first.

DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • Michelle, Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that I have a bit of Deteriorated Discs at L4 and L5 and many bone spurs in my neck and bits on lower spine. This knowledge came from a Chiropractor and XRays and MRI that a Doctor had done when I had my accident. One Chiropractor I went to said that I had the spine of a 80 year old person, wow thanks huh?. I know you are right, I do need to go to a Neuro DR and get a work up. I did not realize (as you stated) that the nerve will continue to get damaged, that is scary. My Psychiatric DR put me on Gabapentin 100 mg x 3 times a day (always forget the 2nd one ea day) approximately 6 months ago or so and have been on Cymbalta 60 mg x3 times a day and Bupropion 100 mg. I think I'd be worse off without these medications for sure. I will check into the "Sciatica Pain Relief" and Alpha Lipoic Acid. What is fusion with decompression ? I don't understand all the surgery terminology. I know my Mother (deceased) had a fusion in her back due to deteriorated discs and had hardware in her back for a couple years till it fused properly and then had to have another surgery to have the hardware taken out. She did not get any better, worse if anything. I'm sure surgery has come a long way since then though and now have better results.
  • You have Lyme Disease....I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have Degenerative Disc Disease which is why I had a 2 level fusion at L3-L5 in 2007. Getting the last level done now as the disc has mostly dried up but what is left of it is causing stenosis. All i know is PAIN! Lol. A lot of people have the fusions and have to get the hardware taken out still. I really dont know why. My fusion is perfect although the surgery was rough. Hoping for another perfect fusion and a not so rough recovery this time. Definitely get an appt with a neurosurgeon asap. You dont want any permanent damage. Best of luck to you!
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.