Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months out....need comparison and pain updates from Dec. surg. buddies!

I just saw my surgeon. I am still experienced quite a bit of pain mainly in the right side of my lower back post MIS PLIF L4-5. I also have sacral nerve burning sensation yet. If I lay around or relax all day, I don't need a lot of pain meds. But when I am very active and on the go, like I should be, I need Percocet yet to control my pain. I am also on diazepam, which I may take 2 at most during a day now. I also have fibromyalgia, which I have been treated for 15 years. He increased my Lyrica for the nerve pain, didn't notice a bit difference. He wants to drastically reduce my pain meds. Trust me, I don't want to be on them, I take only what I need. Now he wants me to have a SI joint injection to help with the pain. I'm not sure if that is the answer, I see a new pain management dr. next week. I will talk to him about all of this. But I really need to hear from others where they are at. My dr. seems to have a cookie cutter approach when it comes to pain meds. I'm hoping the pain management person listens better, and I also see my rheumatologist in two weeks. I mention Cymbalta to my surgeon to help with the musculoskeletal pain I am experiencing in the right side of my back and he just blew me off. I thought a non-narcotic med might help, at least try it. I know it takes times to build in your system, and he said take the Cymbalta instead of the Percocet? I said, maybe try the Cymbalta and wean me off the narcotics. But like I said, he blew me off, and insisted on the injection. I'm still not sure about all of this. Has anybody experience what I'm going through?? Any input???? I have a high tolerance to pain usually and have been through a lot. I really want to get off the pain meds, but still need them. He just doesn't seem to hear me! Just need to know where others are at. I am doing quite well overall.....but I like to be active. Sure if I lay around, I can cut back on the meds, and have been trying to take the least amount that I can. I understand him not wanted me to get addicted, but I go without at night, and cut back when I'm not in a lot of pain!! Anybody else out there that has had this problem?? Just looking for feedback! Thanks
radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion

• I had a miTLIF on 1/16, so I'm not quite at the point you are at....but I've had similar issues, particularly with my surgeon's PA. I have a birth defect that creates fibro-like chronic pain, so I really hear you. I've been on narcotics for years pre-surgery because of pain management (same ortho clinic as my surgeon), so my surgeon's desire to wean me off narcotics in his cookie-cutter way is pretty scary :-(
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.