Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

vertigo problems

Hi. I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, but lately have been suffering with terrible episodes of vertigo. I am wondering if these two problems can be related. I also get earraches, rushing in the ears, and aural fullness. I am constantly dizzy and my mastoids hurt also....any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Can vertigo and degenerative disc disease be related? I suffer from both...including ear pain, rushing noises in ears, and aural fullness...thanks. lorie mchugh

• oops, I forgot to mention that I have disc disease of the cervical spine
    Can vertigo and degenerative disc disease be related? I suffer from both...including ear pain, rushing noises in ears, and aural fullness...thanks. lorie mchugh
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Lorie,

I also have degenerative disc disease and have had several fusions both Cervical and Lumbar. What cervical levels are you having issues with? I am currently fused from C3 thru C7, but an MRI from December 2011 showed the beginning of problems at C2/C3.

Since last Summer, I have had vertigo issues and they are continuing. Also, I sometimes feel pressure in the ears, mainly the left. I have noticed a decrease in hearing ability, but I worked in a machine shop for many years so that could also be a culprit for that.

Thanks for any info you can give, and welcome to the forums.

• HI Charlie,

I have disc disease of the c5,c6,...and also in the thoratic area...I was diagnosed about 4 years ago, and haven't had anything done about it. I am not at all thinking of surgery, simply because it frightens the heck out of me. I don't suffer too much pain; just a lot of cracking when I turn my head. Can't sleep with a pillow though...must be perfectly flat. The main problem that I have been lately having is the ringing and hissing in the ears...along with the vertigo. Have you been told that the vertigo is related to the disc disease? I haven't been told so, but my gut is telling me that they are related.
  • I have often have wondered if my balance issues and ear ringing/ fullness in the ears could be attributed to neck issues, the symptoms all seem to run together with the chronic neck/arm/elbow/wrist pain and numbness. I would do anything before I had spine fusion surgery, I think it is trading one pain for another.
  • Hi I also suffer neck and shoulder pain and loss of balance and dizziness I am convinced it all ties together. Also have a lot of fullness and ringing in ears. I feel like I am going crazy some days. I just found this forum today and am hoping I can stumble on ideas of how to cope with this ongoing difficulty. I too will not have surgery.
  • There are special exercises to do pertaining to vertigo that all involve the neck, so one does wonder that it must be connected. Be sure that you have talked w/ an MD to confirm that it definately is vertigo so that they can rule out other medical issues.
    As far as the ringing in the ears goes, that could be for several reasons as well. Cholesterol, wax in ears that you cant see ect. Also let your doc know you have that as well.
    I too am convinced it is all tied together
    . Google "exercises and vertigo" and see what they can give you.
    I do know several people have a good response to vertigo exercises, and often it is a temporary condition that will go away.
    I hope this helps and good luck.
  • Hi Lorie,
    I had anterior cervical fusion almost 14 years ago (C-4 through C-7). About 4 years ago I started getting terrible vertigo bouts much like a person with Meniere's Syndrome. I was run through the gamut of vestibular rehabilitation and had 4 different ENTs attack the problem as an inner ear (labrynthitis) issue. I am fortunate in that my tinnitus (left ear only) changes significantly prior to an episode (most of the time anyway). I have found that the only way to minimize the attacks is to also minimize my neck/shoulder pain. My neck pain is alway there, but can go from a severe ache to a burning that graduates to continuous muscle spasms (also mostly left side). I save the narcotics for these times. The key is self-observation...know what works and what doesn't...and avoid those triggers. I have been through all the therapies. I still use the muscle stimulator, Skelaxin, and Cymbalta (I have tried just about all medicines, Cymbalta lessens the ache without major side effects...for me) daily. I get my corticosteriod injections about every 6 months and I exercise every day no matter what (mostly long walks). I limit my time in bed and I take mini-breaks often to loosen my neck muscles (gentle rotating shrugs). Vestibular exercises also do well to relax tight parts of the neck and strengthen the weak. Listen to your body and stop the pain train before it gets up to speed. Good Luck...bless you
  • I have disc herniated at c5-6 and yes I get dizzy sometimes nauseous also. I feel kind of wooziness headed. Sometimes my vision blurs also. If I look up to far or down to low I get dizzy. I would definately say it's due to your cervical disc. I also have bad swelling and knots that come and go repeatedly on the back of my neck. Some knots are big and then some come n go that feel like lymph nodes. Sometimes they are really sore.
  • Hi everyone.......Lorie, I'm sorry I haven't checked back until now. I haven't yet been told that the vertigo symptoms have been attributed to my degenerative disc. I did find a thread here that explains a lot to me, and seems to explain a lot about some of your symptoms. I wonder if my (and some of your) issues are due to spinal fluid leakage? These symptoms fit me almost to a Tee!

Here is the thread, it's located in the "Chronic Pain" forum.

• sunryhassunryha Posts: 1
    edited 09/09/2014 - 6:56 PM
    I Have degenerative disc my C5-C6 and on top it off I have been suffering from vertigo and headaches. I am guessing it's from the degenerative discs. I am so miserable and in lots of pain. I don't see pain & spine for over a month. Does anyone know what I can do to help the symptoms. I have trouble working, sleeping and doing everyday life things.
    Melissa Zamor