Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical spine stenosis

I posted a few weeks ago as I was due to have an appointment with a Neurosurgeon as I have stenosis at multiple levels in my cervical spine. The Neurosurgeon has requested I have a full MRI of the whole of my spine as he says I have asymmetrical reflexes in my lower limbs and suspects a central abnormality. I am assuming by this he suspects spinal cord involvement. Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone had similar problems and does this mean it could result in surgery?

• Only advice is to continue with all the tests your Neurosurgeon suggests. Get copies of all imaging and test results. You will want them to facilitate getting a second opinion, regardless of what your NeuroS concludes. Yes, cervical spinal cord stenosis is one of the main things he is looking at, but he is also looking at other things, I can't speculate on what they may be. If it is spine caused it could likely result in surgery. It can also be separate problems. Cervical causing neck and upper limb problems, and a lumbar spine problem causing the lower limb issues. That's why he wants to MRI the complete spine.

Good luck to you. I know it is frustrating to wait so long for answers.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.

• I have been down a similar road to you and feel that I am still not at the end of my journey!

I had a lumbar fusion done 3 years ago, and even before that I was having symptoms in my neck and arms.
    After my fusion my neck problems seemed to get worse.
    I had a cervical MRI scan and that showed that I had a lot of degeneration throughout my neck and cervical stenosis from this, but that my spinal canal was congenitally narrow so that made things worse.

I had so many symptoms all over my body that I was referred to a neurologist and had brain scan and all sorts of other tests. They were testing to rule out MS and some other neurological conditions that they didn't name. It was decided that all my symptoms could be coming from a high cervical 'lesion' (told that meant cord compression). I also had a total spine MRI done that showed that I also have 3 herniated discs in my thoracic spine. This meant that it was extremely difficult to be sure what level of my spine is causing my various problems.

I have now had the worst two levels fused (5 months ago) but am still having some problems in my arms, legs, lower and mid back. I also get stiffening spasms in both legs and around my abdomen. I will be seeing my cervical fusion surgeon later this month.

Needless to say I am very fed up with all of this!
    I wish you luck and hope that they can find a conclusive answer to what is going on with you.

• Many thanks for your helpful replies.

• No, not had a mylogram.
    Did you have one? If so, what did it show? Was it helpful to tell what is going on?
  • slopatientslopatient Posts: 6
    edited 04/03/2013 - 12:32 AM
    I don't think so