Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 Mos Post up Spinal fusion Invasive

Loreeann32LLoreeann32 Posts: 76
edited 03/31/2013 - 5:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I just wanted to post some good news.

It has been 7 mos, since I had my L3-L4 spinal fusion. I can tell a BIG difference since I have had it done. First, let me say, it was no walk in the park. This surgery was something that I thought about for a while, and then I said I am going to get it done since I had a torn disc and it was bulging. What can I lose, I was already in alot of pain taking Vicodin, and abusing it.

I had my surgery on Aug 24th 2012, and I was in the hospital for 2 days. They showed me how to walk, and climb stairs, and walk, walk walk. I came home, and stayed with my mom and dad, as I am single and live alone, and by the way, the picture that is posted is what happend to my face after surgery. My mother was so good to me. I stayed for 2 weeks. Then I came home and used my cane every now and then, and my picker up grabber thing. That came in very useful for me. I was very lucky to have neighbors as well, and they helped me. I did not drive for about 3 weeks, and the 4th week was still a little rough and did not like to drive long drives. I was still on the meds, which helped out alot, and then also on muscle relaxers. I did not abuse them this time, because I made a decision that I wanted to get off of these and live a normal life. 2 mos later, I weaned myself off of the meds, was in a little pain, but nothing that I could not manage. I did alot of walking, I cannot even count how many miles. It helped with the healing process. 3 mos post op, I was at the gym, when I should have not been, walking. Only walking, and alittle treadmill. I would over do it, and then I knew when I needed to stop. But I would keep going to the gym, since this was in the winter time. The pain has eased and I can tell that I have been healing on the inside. Let me fast forward to now, which is 7 mos post op. I am now at the gym, running here and there. 3 Mos ago I could not run, I would try and I could feel the hardware and basically my body said no, not yet. But now I am, and I am not in pain. I am not running really fast yet, but have just started to. If feels so good to get back to where I was before the surgery and before the pain.

I just wanted to share this and hope the people that are reading this that are getting ready to have a surgery know that this is not the end. If you evaluate the Dr's that you have and read up on them, I have no doubt the ones that know what they are doing can fix you. Mine have, but I have had to pay alot, but I believe it is worth it, when it comes to my health. My dr has been working with the spine for many years and also has a neurologist that works with him as well with every surgery. My surgery was 6 hours long and I have 4 little slits in my back. 2 above my buttocks and 2 below, but still a little above my buttocks. I still can not understand how they fit all that hardware in there, they tore the tape off my face when I was still out, and it was bad. It took 4 mos to disappear.

My goal is to run a 5K marathon maybe this fall, or early next year, I have not ruled it out, and I am going to. You can do anything that you put your mind to, and I am so thankful that I had this done. If I had to do it over again, I would do it again. Yes I am a little stiff here and there, but I am still healing, and if that is all I have and no pain?, I will take it. Good luck to all of you and if you ever want to talk, let me know. I know what you are going through. Take Care Lori

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
DDD, Thyroid Disease
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
SI Joint dysfunction

• Your positive message Lori, it's often difficult for those of us still at the early stages of surgical recovery to see light at the end of the tunnel. It's only when you can reflect back over several months that gains can be seen, and I am really pleased for you in having such a positive outcome and long may it continue,

• Thanks for sharing. Its nice to hear good news for a change.I had Alif L4L5S1 march13 and I had a great surgeon.He went in through the belly 10" incision did cages ,rods nuts and bolts. turned me over 2 2"incisions on back.It was hell at first but getting better.I have cleaning business and hope I can get back to it again.I pushed myself yesterday and today in a lot of pain.Im so in a rush to get my life back.I have to learn to be patient!!!! thanks for sharing you give me hope kathy
    Kathy B
  • thank you for sharing. it's nice to hear positive stories, real stories. My surgery is in 3 weeks. I know it will make me better and let me get back to life. I also know that it will be a rough few weeks.
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12