Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does Neck Pain Ever.....

Resolve itself? I wondered because the MRI and Xray results seem to differ from last week's myelogram and CT scan. I had an orthopedic surgeon say that I needed a 3 level fusion. Today the nuero surgeon called and although yes I have issues w/ my neck my problems would best be addressed with carpal tunnel surgery.
This sounds good to me, less invasive surgery. My question is this, will my neck issues heal themselves and go away? The doctor did say I've got a double crush, and it's always been my gut feeling my hands would not bother me if my neck did not bother me.
So how long does it take the neck to heal and what can I do to heal it faster if I do nothing surgically with or for my neck?
Hope this was not too confusing!
Thanks, Sue

• QuahaugQQuahaug Posts: 8
    edited 04/02/2013 - 2:10 AM
    Hello SueAnn,

I recently went through numerous medical tests to determine severe pain in my neck/shoulder, right tricep, elbow, and forearm, also numbness and tingling in certain fingers on my right hand. The EMG test showed I had carpel tunnel syndrome which they said might be causing me some pain in the wrist and hand. They did a series of cervical nerve blocks and found what the doctor determined was causing the arm, neck/shoulder forearm pain. I had posterior cervical forminotomy involving C 4-5 and C 6-7 last month and it was very successful. However, now that my daily actives have increased, I do experience wrist pain when I do somewhat heavy lifting involving bending the wrist. My neck surgery resolved the above-mentioned arm pain but it did not address the carpel tunnel syndrome I have.

I do not know if addressing your carpel tunnel problem will resolve your neck pain but if the carpel tunnel is causing you much pain I would have that surgery before I would consider neck surgery. I do not know how long you have been experiencing your neck pain or if you have tried other treatments such as physical therapy for your neck. I would first try every conservative treatment there is before I would fuse another area of my neck (fusion C 5-6 in 1994).

Please be very careful if you are prescribed pain medications. The pain medication was very helpful in three ways for me; two very good and one very, very bad. The medication helped my to deal with the excruciating pain I was experiencing but as the pain increased I started to take more medication. Was the pain increasing or was I developing a dependency? My wife told me how my moods have been changing and expressed concern. I immediately started to cry and told her how I have been feeling lately. I stopped the medications and vigorously pursued other options which led me to surgery a short time later.

I recently joined this forum and found other people's post about their experiences very enlightening and helpful. With this, I hope you resolve your medical issues soon and start feeling better. The best medication is positive thinking. Good luck to you.