Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEWBIE: What have you used to delay surgery

CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
edited 04/04/2013 - 3:36 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
After being in pain which is severe when sitting since Oct 2011, especially in a desk/computer position, my MRI from Aug 2012 shows :

"disc degenerative changes and spinal stenosis at C5-6 and C6-7 with mild bilateral lateral recess stenosis and foraminal stenosis at C6-7 and similar left sided stenosis at C5-6.

I have tried chiro, accupuncture and steroid injections. The steroid injections cause me to have female problems and I ended up with a hysterectomy after multiple fibroids and cysts grew to where I was the size of a woman 5-6 months pregnant. Had hyst surgery in Feb and just reached 6 weeks post-op.

I'm just starting to feel right from Feb surgery. I was hoping I could delay cervical fusion, preferably past this summer and into Sept or Oct. Cervical fusion surgery has been recommended by both my first and second opinion. Now that I am back to work full-time, sitting at desk working on computer is back to driving me crazy. It only takes about an hour before I am in a lot of pain.

Suggestion was made that I purchase a soft collar, which I consulted the surgeon on and purchased today. It seemed to help, but it could have been the advil I took as well.

Spine surgery scares me A LOT, but I don't know how much longer I can stand the pain! I have been told that I will be in a collar for minimum of 90 days. Fall was recommended to avoid the collar through summer.

Anyway, wondering what have you used to delay surgery to used up to surgery date to get some relief. Am I doing more harm by delaying??

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the typical recovery time and return to work for desk/computer work.


  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 04/13/2013 - 4:19 AM
    I've given up on delaying this surgery. The pain, particulary at work is just intolerable. Working at a computer in a desk position just sends my pain skyrocketing

  • There are many here who have said that they wished they hadn't waited so long to have their surgery. I hope that you will be one of those patients.
    My original surgeon wanted to 'watch and wait' and would review me every 6 months. After 2 years I got a second opinion and he said we should get on and do the surgery as I had compression on my cord. I had a 2 level ACDF done 5 months ago. I still have most of my symptoms and now wonder if it is because we waited too long.

    Have you got a date for surgery yet?
    I suggest that you do lots of reading on here and make a list of questions to ask your surgeon. There are many on here who can answer questions about the recovery although we all have different experiences. Different surgeons have different ideas about recovery time. I am in the UK and here we seem to be able to take longer off work on full pay so generally take longer off work. My surgeon said I would need 3 months off work but I am a teaching assistant and have to do lots of bending and stooping forward in my job.

    Hope that you will be one of the successful surgery stories :-)

  • brodcook1111brodcook1111 Posts: 1
    edited 04/13/2013 - 9:07 AM
    yoga is the best techiniq to remove your all diseases .mmore detail

    Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

  • I did not wait and did not want to wait, after all conservative treatments failed to give relief I aggressively pursued surgery. I am nine months into this ordeal and finally have surgery scheduled for the 26th. The way I see it is if nothing else is making it better then why avoid the surgery? Yes there's a chance it may not be successful, but if you have no life due to limitations and pain anyway I think it's worth it to take the chance that you may get the relief you need.
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • summerbdassummerbda Posts: 16
    edited 04/13/2013 - 4:23 PM
    This has been a question I have been wondering...most doctors say "last resort" so how dangerous is this surgery....than I read a post the other day on the Spine message boards, and my question was answered and it was really bad.
    A mother of a 3 year old lttle boy now being transfered to an "after care" paralized w/a 3year old son waiting for her to come home! Not trying to scare anyone BUT it was pretty scary, and something to think about..it does happen. I know surgery is in my future..but I have a little one and will wait as long as possible....GL
  • Sorry it was on the Health boards (back pain)...under "surgery gone bad" ....
  • You are scheduled one day after my surgery. Are you having ACDF? Which levels? If so, we should keep in touch.
Sign In or Register to comment.