Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For women with mid back pain.

It literally kills me. Working alone is bad enough. Add a bra squeezing the bad areas and right above my thoracic disc issue.

What do I do. Seriously. I can't not wear a bra to work. My breasts are not huge, between b and c but it would still be mentally uncomfortable. On my days off or as soon as I get home I wear layers and no bra. This is getting to be a serious concern to me. Does anyone else have this problem?

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 04/05/2013 - 3:54 AM
    Could you use maybe a sports bra? That is a tough one, i really wouldn't know what to do. But good luck to you. 8-)
  • How about pasties? I, too, have this problem sometimes when my back is tender to the touch, and even my clothing bothers the problem area. Pasties are these little sticker-like things which come in different shapes. You just take them to your nipples (don't worry - they come off pretty easily), and then you don't give anyone a show if you get cold during the day. I hope this helps. It's the only thing I can think of that wouldn't hurt you.
    Suzanne Hill

Keep your head up ... you'll see better days : )
  • I have the same promblem and sports bra really worked for me, but its worth just spending abit extra and getting a good one it makes all the differance . Takecare
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I had the same problem for about 10 years, after 5 mins of putting on a bra I would want to scream with the irritation and had to take it off. I found sports bra were the only solution.
    I recently tried and bought an ordinary bra that was comfortable. I still have the same problem with label in clothes.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi I had a motorbike accident around 7 years ago and still can't wear a bra. My physio tells me that the muscles which join to my ribs to my thoracic spine have been damaged.
    I have an 80% wedge fracture to T5 on my right side. Any twisting movement puts me in pain and I have experimented with twisting back the other way to relieve some of the pain which works sometimes. Thoracic injuries are misunderstood because they are supposed to be stable. I have just realised mine is unstable so any rib movement puts me in pain.

I found a really tight lycra tee shirt works best for me and I can wear it under my normal clothes, because I can't handle the straps, or even a bra without straps. Pasties just fell off. A tight lycra teeshirt also restricts movent. Seriously I had a drawer full of bras at work which I took off during the day. My staff used to occassionally throw them round the office.

I am also looking at a brace which they don't give you because thoracic injuries are supposed to be stable and cause no pain. Ha Ha.

There seem to be some medical braces that restrict movement that you can wear under your clothes. I have bought a lace up bustier on line which I can adjust to prevent movement. I am going to look more closely at the medical option and if your ribs are unstable as well it might be an answer.

Drs just don't seem to get that not being able to wear a bra at work is a major problem especially if you work with guys all day.

• Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them all starting with the sports bra. I know I can't wear the sports bra with a criss cross back it bothers my neck even more!! I am going to try the tight Lycra shirt too. My dr is female and I might discuss this with her next time. But you all gave me great suggestions!!!

• Any recommendations on certain sports bras? I am 5'5 160 b- c cup.

• or similar to a genie bra is comfortable as well as Rhonda shear lycra t-shirt with built in bra are great also. They are mild support but offer some comfort since theyre no metal clasps just put over your head. Great for sleeping in also.

I have Glamorisse sports bra and its comfortable but still the clips bother me in the back but it has good support. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN