Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ohio Newbie

I am a wife and mother of two college age children. We live in the snowbelt in Ohio and Oct and April temperature have also put me into a "fibro flare" from fibromyalgia. Unfortunately, everything gets blamed on fibro so other possible issues are not considered.

After being in pain since Oct 2011, I finally convinced my doctor to order an MRI in Aug 2012 with shows bulging disks pressing on my spinal cord. The pain is the worst in a sitting/desk computer which is what I do at work.

The MRI summary says :

"disc degenerative changes and spinal stenosis at C5-6 and C6-7 with mild bilateral lateral recess stenosis and foraminal stenosis at C6-7 and similar left sided stenosis at C5-6.

I have tried chiro, accupuncture in 2011/2012 and steroid injections in 2012. The steroid injections provided little to no relief, but caused me to have female problems and I ended up with a hysterectomy after multiple fibroids and cysts grew to where I was the size of a woman 5-6 months pregnant after having only TWO steroid injections. Had hyst surgery in Feb and just reached 6 weeks post-op this week.

Cervical fusion surgery has been recommended by both my first and second opinion. With the recent surgery, I have been hoping I could delay cervical fusion into Sept or Oct 2013. Now that I am back to work full-time, sitting at desk working on computer is again driving me crazy. It only takes about an hour before I am in a lot of pain.

Trying to decide which way to go or find a way to delay the surgery til fall. After today, I'm just not sure how much more pain I can tolerate.

Glad I found this forum. Hope to learn a lot from reading the materials in the coming weeks. Thanks

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 04/04/2013 - 9:44 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi cinbad, I'm from Northern Ohio, good to meet you, but also sorry that you have to be here. Have you been prescribed any medication to help you with your pain while you wait for surgery? I haven't had a surgery consult yet because i also work full time and My family has no other income, so I've been delaying that too. I imagine my pain management doctor will eventually refer me to a surgeon but until then, and as long as i can manage my pain, I'm OK for now. 8-) Take care.
  • Hello, Happy to find a place where others are experiencing the things I am! Just got home Sunday after my 4th Spine surgery and second fusion. S1-L3.
  • I've had back pain since 1995, but the REAL pain started in 2001. The pain was so intense my husband was having to put my shoes on for me and I couldn't sit down at all. My doctor told me to learn to live with the pain. Got a second opinion and that Doc saw a cyst growing on the nerve in on my spine. Removed and I was dancing in recovery. However all of the tests showed my back was basically a train wreck and they told me all the things wrong with it. Felt good until I was 44. Then I consulted with the surgeon who did the first cyst removal. More tests, ensued and he recommended that I have a
    "cage" put around the my spine at the L4-5 area. It was amazing, after 30 days I was doing things I hadn't done in years! But we discussed due to the condition of my back, more procedures would probably be required but was advised to wait as long as possible. About 5 years later the constant pain could no longer be ignored and unfortunately fusion was probably my best option. Fused S1-L4. Last August the pain was starting to increase and by March of this year became intolerable. On March 28 2013 I had L3 added to the others that were fused and returned home on Sunday, March 31. Its been about 9 days and I the pain I went in with is no longer a problem. Adding to increasing back pain was a cyst found during surgery that was growing in the ligament and was pressing on my nerve. No wonder the pain seemed to get worse every day!
    Post-op will be April 9th! I think my surgeon will be surprised at my quick recovery. I am hoping this is my last trip down the operating room corridor, at almost 53 years old, the less surgery the better. Just wanted to share this for anyone who is considering surgery or recovering from one! I was extremely lucky to find the surgeon I have and ALWAYS get a second opinion. If I would have followed my first doctors advice the cyst on the nerve in my spine would be the size of a watermelon! Thanks for listening, it seems no one I know has had any experiences like this.