Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Posterior Foraminotomy

I saw one of the neurosurgeons this morning, and after asking questions, doing a couple physical exam things, and looking at my images and EMG results he said right away that we could do surgery if I wanted. He is going to do a cervical posterior foraminotomy, he pointed out the pros and cons to having that as opposed to a fusion in my situation, and although having a posterior surgery done makes me nervous with the muscle cutting, I agree that this is the best option for me at the moment. He put in the order for surgery so I just need to wait to hear the date. I am so ready for this.

So of course I'd like to hear how anyone else has done with the same procedure.
Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.

• QuahaugQQuahaug Posts: 8
    edited 04/10/2013 - 12:29 AM
    Hi eaduby,

I just had the same surgery on February 22, 2013 and it was very successful and I have not felt this good in over 3 years. I had anterior fusion 18 years ago at C 5-6 and after a total recovery I was able to return to a normal life. I was involved in a car wreck 3 year ago which started my neck problems at C 4-5 and C 6-7. I tried all the conservative treatments but they did not help. The neurosurgeon and I discussed my options which were another anterior fusion or Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy. There were some problems with doing the anterior fusion because of my prior neck surgery so I decided to go with PCF.

The first 2 weeks of recovery were not good and I thought I made a bad decision. But after that I started to improve very quickly. The cut was just about 5 inches so I think it was mostly post surgical pain. What helped the most was getting physically active. After 3 year of nerves being pinched, I needed to get my strength back in my arm and hand. I did lots of walking and some arm exercises using just a can of soup (just call me Arnold). I decided to do some extensive yard work about 3 weeks ago and for the first time was able to work pain free. Things like sky jumping or steer wrestling should be avoided but I am restriction free after about 5 to 6 weeks from my surgery. I so much am enjoying being pain free.

So I wish you well with your surgery and hope you have similar results.
  • It's good to hear that your recovery went quickly! I don't want to be away from work for too long, so I hope I'll be able to get back at least part time within a month.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had the posterior surgery on my cervical area, please dont let others scare you how bad it is. Yes it is a longer recovery but it wasnt as bad as I was let on to be. The muscles in the back of the neck are angry so remember to take your muscle relaxers and walk as much as possible. My biggest issue with the surgery was getting up out of bed so if given the opportunity for a hospital bed at home take it. That issue lasted about 2 weeks. Good luck and keep us posted
  • Well I got my date for the surgery, April 26th. I'm nervous about the post-surgical pain for sure, but I know in the long run it shouldn't be too bad at all. I'm really glad that it's so soon, not too much time to worry about it before it happens!