Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Phone call from Doctor

summerbdassummerbda Posts: 16
edited 04/08/2013 - 4:21 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,
I have been doing research since it seems in the future I will be needing a 2 level fusion at c5-6 and c6-7...I came across this info from a phone call from a doctor (Dr. xxxx) at this sight "Orthopedic & Laser spine surgery" he reviewed my MRI.
I was told that for the cervical area these surgeon's are using the artificial disc with wonderful success. No real down time (1 week w/no weight), no screws/pins, no hospital stay, better range of motion, no repeat sugeries and no spinal injuries to date. It was originated in Europe and has been FDA approved here 10 years ago. It sound great!!
I was wondering if any of you all have used this procedure or heard of it?
Can you tell me your thoughts good or bad? It really sounds to good to be true...
It is only used in the neck area...since the lower back bears more weight.
Thank you

Post edited to remove specific doctor's name. Please read the Forum rules

• I had a 4 level cervical which of course is much more extensive, but I find it hard to believe only 1 week down time and restrictions. Spine surgery with no down time? I would definitely do some research and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion - from an orthosurgeon or neurosurgeon who is a "spine fellow". Best to be safe.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Sounds like someone is trying to make a sale. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    A phone call from a Dr should never be the way to approach a potential life changing procedure. Surgeries to the spine are always made from several appts, history, PT, and as a last resort. Please dont allow someone to convince you into this untill you do some research.
    All of my surgeries required to be in the hospital 4-5 days each one. I would definately do some research and discuss this with your Neurosurgeon/Orth.
    I know that we struggle daily w/ pain and we often look for a quick fix b/c we all want our life back to normal, so sometimes its exciting to hear things like that, new procedures ect, but do some research and keep us posted. I have never heard of this new procedure but thats not to say its not real.
    Keep us posted and good luck
  • summerbdassummerbda Posts: 16
    edited 04/09/2013 - 2:17 AM
    Can they flat out lie at a spinal surgery center? Wouldn't this leave them w/lawsuits?? I was talking to them on phone after I semt them my MRI because they are not where I live...they have 8 locations, that are in my state. But I would never do it with just a phone call....!! What are your thoughts on ADR?
    This is why I was asking here about it hoping for some real insight.
    Thank you
  • I had ADR back in 2004 as clinical trial on lower back L4L5 flexicore artificial disc which caused nerve issues and more pain then I had before my surgery , I was fused same level 2 years later without getting any relief from the nerve pain,

I seen many doctors and many say ADR does work better in many cases on the neck.

ADR can be good for 1 person done by the rite doctor while a disaster for another. ,

All you can do is see them in person and get detail of the surgery and get another opinion from another well known trusted doctor before making a big decision. Nothing is simple with spine, It can make you or break you for life,

You have to be a 100% candidate for the ADR and yes doctor maters a lot, Wrong doctor doing it can cripple you for life,
    Most of us take more time picking out a used car then picking and finding the best doctor,

You can junk a used car and get a better 1 but your spine is for life and anyone screws the spine up you stuck with a lemon for spine, Avoid surgery if at all possible and talk to a trusted doctor others you know have used and trust and go from his or her opinion !

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I called the clinic back to find out what kind of Doctor had called me back...and he was a chiropractor?! from the spinal inst.. I am just cking around because I know surgery is in my future. Hoping not soon but who knows...as PT is not helping my pain! I think I wpould tavel to Europe as they have been doing this surgery much longer. I heard that the lumbar does not work as well as cervical bec. of the weight you bear on the lower back.
    Thank u
  • I watched the video and it is eye opening and you realize how important the right surgeon is. The back and spine can take a lot of stress but when you see the surgeon trying to fit the right size artifical disc and uses a mallet to get it to fit snug... You can imagine the pain the patient will have when they wake up.
    Why did they have a chiropractor to tell you you needed surgery? That would make me run away very quickly...
    Good luck...
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I was reading about some 'scams' - where yes, surgeons are offering what you've described and people are in a lot worse shape after.

And, have you checked to see if there are any lawsuits filed against this practice? Many practices have lawsuits filed, so the question is - what for? how many? etc etc.

Do a few searches on the internet about this company/practice - and see what others say. Be aware that some people may be plants - and paid to write positive reviews - so you have to look at volume.

I live in California where so many bleeding edge practices are done and even with my 2 level cervical fusion just in October, 2012, there were no miracles - plates, screws, hard collar for 3 months and it was successful.

Do your research (which is why I know you're asking about it on here) - and also check out the alleged use in Europe. Many will say things started in Europe to make Americans think that Europe is way ahead of us. Maybe they are; maybe they are not.

Good luck to you.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • i'd also be checking about 2 level as far as ADR's go. i believe in the US they are approved only for a single level for cervical cases. (unless it changed recently.) that of course means, no insurance company is going to pay for a 2 level ADR surgery, because they don't want to pay for anything, and if its classified experimental, they won't cover it. i had a 2 level fusion c4-c6 in Sept. 2011. I wasn't a candidate for the ADR because i needed 2 levels done.

something else to consider. the place you contacted? how local to you is it? if you have to travel for surgery, what happens when you need to go home? how easy will it be to travel post surgery? what happens if there are complications? You may be better off finding a good surgeon in your local area and talk to them. See a couple of them.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
    edited 04/09/2013 - 2:12 PM
    Yes, I am aware that I would be paying out of pocket for 2nd ADR.....Yes this clinic is in Florida.
    At this point I am gathering info...! I am also on the health boards and there were people doing trails as far back as 2002 here in U.S.. Everyone was very excited this was coming here?! There r people from over seas on the board too. Traveling seems to be done by many people having this procedure...just telling u what I have read.
    Thank u
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Just be real careful whatever you decide to do. I think you have got some real good opinions right here with people who have been there and done that. Keep researching and be your own advocate, this is a big deal no matter how many levels need to be repaired. Be patient and make the right choice, it can be a life changing experience.
  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 04/14/2013 - 4:53 AM
    I need a 2 level fusion at c5-6 and c6-7 as well and will be scheduled soon for ACDF. I consulted the two surgeons and both told me that two levels is not a candidate for disk replacement. The reasoning was that you can't stack two disks and hope for stability. Think of it as trying to stack two marbles, or two dominos. Made sense to me. I certainly don't want to multiple surgeries
    edited 04/10/2013 - 1:35 PM
    Isn't that weird the guy I talk to at the spine int. said had muti. level fusion done w/ADR......never know who to trust I guess!
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 04/10/2013 - 6:12 PM
    I had a 3 level acdf c4-c7 and I was told I was NOT a candidate for the ADR back in 2010. It would of been Great to not have to have a Fusion, but I had no other option as I exhausted all of the non-surgical options. This is a Huge surgery, and like the other's have posted Please get Several Opinions. My left nerve arm pain is gone, but I have a host of other Pain to this day.

Please do keep us Updated as you have come to the right place for support.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.