Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy/Discectomy vs Spinal Fusion

ATspineAATspine Posts: 2
edited 04/08/2013 - 3:36 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
1st surgery I had was in June 2011 laminectomy/discectomy at L-4 due to a large herniated disc and I ended up with bad results after surgery I entered pt and had a very hard time but I stuck it out and by Nov 2011 ended up having a second surgery spinal fusion at L-3 L-4 and by April 2012 finished pt with very good result I was pain free but not without permanent 50 pound weight restrictions which is not easy being an electric lineman the weight is not a problem but not being able to bend and twist is a problem I was back on the job in mmi for 2 weeks and twisted my body just a tiny bit and my back hip and leg pain had returned and it was very bad again I told my employer and they turned it into their work comp and they said they will not send me to the Dr again so I used my personal Ins and come to find out I had a lateral herniated L-5 I tried the injections all over again 6 total they did not work again it is now 2013 1 year from reporting my injury and comp finally wants to do something and send me to their surgeon I'm so worried that this Dr they are sending me to will want to do a laminectomy/discectomy which did not work for me the 1st time and instead of just having 3 surgeries and being fixed I'm afraid I will end up with 4 and need a fusion anyways can anyone answer me should the new Dr just do a fusion 1st and be done with it ? The surgeon I was paying for was just going to do a fusion