Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

IDD therapy

Just wanted to ask if anyone tried IDD therapy and what the outcome was.

I have a moderate sized left paracentral disc protrusion at L5/S1 compressing the S1 nerve root. The pain is managable but I really want my normal life back. I live in London and IDD therapy is available here but only privately and it costs loads of money so just wanted to hear your opinions if anyone had it.

Thanks in advance!

• Just read through you other post and wanted to offer my story.

I just turned 33. My back problems started around 3 years ago. I am a machine shop foreman but also a machinist for over 16 years. My days mostly consisted of 8 hours on cement floors running machines. Also wrenches, hammers, sledgehammers, and lots of heavy lifting. When my back problems started it became a severe tightness in my lower back that was worst in the mornings. I went to a chiroprcter for treatment. After about 2 monts of treatment I was feeling pretty good. I continued chiro for the year sporadically. Then the sciatica started, UGH! It started as more of a nuisance than anything. I returned to the chiro but this time the treatment wasnt helping. That went on for another year with the sciatica getting worse & worse. Thankfully by this time I had far more office duties than shop duties but every time I had to work on my feet I was in severe pain. But you gotta do what you gotta do so just push through it right? Well now the sciatica is so severe that all I can do is work, once I get home forget about anything else. I finally get a CT scan that shows my L5S1 herniation. On to pain management. Over the next 8 months I have 3 steroid injections that do little to nothing to relieve my pain.

Now from right about that point to the prevoius year I am pretty depressed about my situation. Kind of the opposite of you my personal life is good & I am getting alot of support from my wife. But my work life is miserable. I cannot run a machine, I cannot stand on the floor for more than a few minutes at a time. I cannot stand in line anywhere. Right after the 3rd shot I go on my annual vacation. 2 weeks of every year I get to fish, hike and generally enjoy myself and my family. But my 2011 & 2012 vacation are severely affected by my pain. I cannot hike. I am in pain all day and having trouble enjoying myself. That is the last straw and I finally seek out a surgical opinion after my 2012 vacation.

I go to see a surgeon and have a terrible appointment where the docs wants me to try PT and I had to beg for an MRI. Although I did leave with an MRI order I was totally depressed & defeated feeling pushed off by this doc. I seek another surgeon and have the MRI.

On to the MRI which shows my herniation is much more severe than the CT scan shows. the new surgeon was surprised I was still somewhat functioning with such severe nerve compression. 2 nerves were being pinched the herniation was so large. He recommends a microdiscetomy. I have surgery in september. So now I am 7 months post-op. Things are much better but not perfect by any means. It took 14 weeks of PT and about 5 months before I could do things that are even close to normal activities. Even now after every time I push myself I have swelling & discomfort. But compared to where I was its night & day.

I find alot of happinesss in all of the things I can do now that I could not do for so long. I am able to run machines at work again. I am able to play basketball & do light lifting at the gym. I can go to the store. I can hang out with friends and just stand around and talk. I can sleep all night!

So you are still pretty early on your pain road, but you are taking the right steps by getting diagnosed and looking into treatment options. Its not gonna be easy and its not gonna be fast but you can get to where you need to be! I also understand very well how the depression can affect your life more than the pain! Esp when you already have a personality that is already easily depressed.

Now I do not know anything about IDD. It was never brought up by any of my docs. So just make sure you get multiple opinions & treatment options and get yourself a roadmap to recovery!!

Also never hesitate to come to the forums for support & advice!!

Good Luck buddy, Its gonna get better!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!