Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain control

So i was advised that in order to get the max benefit of pain control in the hospital, I should decrease my pain meds 48 hrs before surgery. The fear of not having my pain controlled after my fusion Thursday scares the hell out of me! But, my pain is pretty bad right now. I cannot imagine what I am going to feel like by tomorrow night! Although it is a good "reminder" why I am in fact having the surgery.
Has anyone else tapered their pain meds down to get the max pain control in the hospital?

DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.

• I have had 3 surgerys C3/C4 C4/C5 C5/C6 C6/C7 fusion i have never had to decrease my pain medds. I hope you are not suffering too much, I hope evry thing goes well for you on Thursday. Thankyou for the nice comments you put on my posts thay were a great surport.
  • I take Oxycodone. I take 5mg around 8am, then another 5mg around 1pm then another around 6. Sometimes by then the pain is bad so i will take another around 7/8 pm then ill take 2 around midnight when i go to bed. I was prescribed to take 2 pills every 4 hours. I kindof think I already was tapering down! Lol :)
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • Don't be nervous , it will all go good for you.You will wake up and they will be controlling your pain. Just think how it will all be worth it down the road. I had surgery march 13th and it was rough for awhile, but doing better now. Just know you have people who care and will be thinking of you.stay strong kathy
    Kathy B