Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Tests B4 Surgery?

Hi, I am new to this site as well as fairly uninformed when it comes to overall spine health. I have my first apt with my neurosurgeon in two days, I am seeing him for my neck:C4/5 posterior disc protrusion, C5/6 right posterior lateral disc osteophyte complex formation and posterior disc herniation w/ central canal stenosis and effacement of the right lateral recess, C6/7 posterior central disc protrusion and posterior disc osteophyte complex w/central canal stenosis, C7/T1 posterior disc osteophyte complex formation.

I don't really understand what that all means other than it hurts bad! I am wondering if there will be possible other tests done before we just go to surgery and if so does anyone know what they might be? Just looking for as much info on this whole journey as I have no idea what to expect...all I know is that I'm very anxious to get my neck "fixed"

Thanks for reading xo
Mother of three amazing boys who wants her life back, suffering from chronic neck/shoulder pain for 9 months.

• With having problems at several levels he may want to have some tests done in an attempt to confirm which levels are truly causing you pain, because they might not all be, and he might not want to go in and do a drastic three level fusion if he doesn't have to. (IDK if that's the case, I'm not a doctor, just speculating.)

You may possibly have an EMG if you haven't already? Or a discogram, or CT/myelogram. Basically anything that could give the neurosurgeon more information to help him make his surgical decision.

On the other hand he may look at your MRIs, ask about your symptoms, do a physical examination and that may tell him enough for him to make a decision without any further testing. Every surgeon has a different process. Because of this fact it can be a good idea to get an opinion from more than one surgeon before getting surgery to really understand if you have multiple options. It's also a good idea to start researching all those terms that you listed and find out all you can about any surgeries that may be recommended so that you can make the best educated decision possible. This site will be a great resource to help you do that. :)
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • I sent you a pm with a helpful link. Look for it in your pm inbox. Love your screen name. :)
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008