Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

On Sunday night I received a call from my pain doctor, he wants to see me tomorrow. Of course, he talks, I jump, so there I was in his clinic on Monday morning. He wants me to get labs done and hopes go get me in on Thursday apologizing for the long wait. I am of course, very pessimistic since I've had my date changes numerous times but sure as s#$@, I've got to report to the hospital tomorrow at 2pm. I finally have a date and time even. So, I've got two work days left, oh, so many things to do. He mentioned that I would probably stay in the hospital for the night. How many of you out there stayed a night in the hospital? Is it also normal not to turn the unit on until the next week? OK, here is your chance, please give me any last minute advise, things you wish you would have known or done.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 118
    Pandqmama - I presume you are addressing a spinal cord stimulator implant?. I'm on my second SCS and it has also stopped working or failed. My current SCS was implanted in mid December 2012 and lasted until the middle of January before it failed. Prior to this surgery for the second SCS, I had 3 or 4 SCS revision surgeries because the battery component kept moving until it was against my spine which was NOT fun. In the overall scheme of things if I had this to do over, I would not have the SCS permanently implanted because I do not get the relief expected.

I had to stop working because of my chronic back pain and needed to move back home to the central Florida area so I've had to find a new pain management doctor here which has also NOT been fun! Of course, he has superior skills to those of my previous pain management docs and he has me starting over with back injections - I had bilateral facet injections a couple of days ago and, just like the first time, all I got from the procedure was more pain. I don't get these doctors and their "superior" attitudes. I asked the new pain doc if he raid my records from the prior doc and, of course, he waffled about it so I presume it is just ego. I do not have a lot of pain management doctors unless I want to drive 60 or 70 miles one way to another doctor's office. I'll lay it out and see how it goes.

I hope your SCS gives you the relief you need.

Best of luck! Jerome
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 04/20/2013 - 6:18 AM
    If you require any pain medications as part of your treatment, you moved to the wrong state. It took me 3 full 8 hour days to find 1 of my prescriptions last week and that was a 8pm the 3rd night. So much pain, it's 4 days latter and I'll be able to leave the house today. My Dr.'s office said the state laws and DEA are making it a nonviable option to use pain medication as a form of treatment. I was laid off in September of 2012. I could just make it thru the day with medication. Referred for SCS. Very afraid of surgery pain. We ended up adding an extended release a few months ago. I dont see myself going back to work with out the SCS or EVEN MORE medication. I am at the point I have to try the SCS. Im ready for what happens either way as this is no life. Good luck with your new Dr. They will be VERY conservative just get to know each other. The state is making it terrible for him, you and the pharmacies.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 05/06/2013 - 2:34 PM
    My SCS helped with pain but I was not able to return to work but it makes my days and nights so Much better, it effects us all different

Good Luck
  • lbfrndflllbfrndfl Posts: 38
    edited 05/06/2013 - 9:52 AM
    I have had scs implant since 1999, recently I decided to replace with newer rechargeable type of unit (awaiting surgery). I have had 4 implants (1was replaced do to infection), I have nothing but good things to say about scs. Without the unit I can not walk more than two or three steps without falling. Each step feels as if I am jumping off the roof. Not sure what type of system anyone else is using, but I have been very happy with Medtronics.