Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wanting Advice and a Favor to Ask

IrishARSEIIrishARSE Posts: 8
edited 04/10/2013 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
Okay... Hello All!
I was wondering if I could ask a favor... I am going to post MRI results from the last couple and comparison to the prior. None of these issues arise from any accident or injury. They just exist (as well as others I will touch base on. I'm guessing I should post this in each forum that applies due to nature of my favor :)

so... as for the favor. I am wondering how many people out there have this many spinal issues at one time. Not that I'm a hyprochondriac, I am just betting that this many issues without the ability to take any kind of pain meds (due to a neurological condition) is pretty rare. Actually, with or without pain meds. A quick paragraph or the # of involved discs would be great and whether or not you get SSDI.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for your time. :) I know its a lot to ask but I do have a quick n easy summary at the top of the reports.
Other conditions:
Mixed incontinence w neurostim impant + botox bladder injections
Seen an eye dr 3 times this year, each exam worse + now muscle drift to outside
Can no longer drive at night
Dx Early Onset Parkinsons w ALS also being considered

RADIOLOGY REPORTS including prior imaging comparison

6 Disc herniation with 1 certain thoracic rupture

C3-C4: Central Cord, <10mm
C4..-..C6: ventral cord contact, <8mm
T6-T7, T8-T9: Cord compression/flattening
T9-T10: Rupture w foraminal narrowing +
Left foramimal narrowing, nerve
“severe at T6-T7 and at the left T9-T10 level.”

BULGES: 6 Broad Based w foraminal narrowing/facet hypertrophy
T5-T6+ T8-T9

MRI-C-SPINE W/O CONTRAST 11/02/2011 10:48 EDT

Reason for Exam

MRI-C-SPINE W/O CONTRAST Nov 2, 2011 10:48:23 AM

In comparison to the prior study dated 4/20/2010, mild straightening of the cervical spine appears similar with multilevel disc desiccation. No suspicious marrow signal alterations have developed.

At the C2-C3 level, no compressive abnormalities identified. At
C3-C4, there is a minimal central disc protrusion touching the
ventral spinal cord without significant mass effect

At the C4-C5 level, there is a broad-based central disc protrusion causing mild ventral cord indentation with no posterior cord compression. There is mild central stenosis at this level with AP canal dimension of 8 mm. Findings appear similar at this level.

At the C5-C6 level, there is a focal central disc herniation causing mild ventral cord indentation and no significant posterior cord compression. There is mild canal narrowing at this level to an AP dimension of 9 mm. This disc herniation is similar to slightly more conspicuous compared to the prior study. Slightly increased disc herniation is questioned when comparing sagittal imaging.

At the C6-C7 level, there is a mild noncompressive diffuse disc
bulge. The cervical neuroforamina remain patent. There is no
evidence of neck mass or adenopathy on this examination.

MRI cervical spine impression:
Multilevel cervical degenerative disc disease with increased disc herniation at C5-C6. Findings otherwise appear similar since 2010.

********** VERIFIED REPORT **********
MRI-C-SPINE W/WO CONTRAST 04/20/2010 11:28 EDT

Reason for Exam

MRI cervical and lumbar spines with and without contrast on April 20, 2010

Indication: Pain, radiculopathy

Findings cervical spine:

The cervical vertebral bodies demonstrate normal signal, height, and alignment. The craniocervical junction is normal. The visualized portion the posterior fossa and brainstem appear normal. The cervical cord is normal in signal. No abnormal enhancement is seen.

There is congenital narrowing of the cervical canal; the osseous dimensions measuring 10 mm or less.

The following degenerative changes are noted:

At C4-C5, there is a minor disc bulge with thecal sac compression and minor spinal cord contact.

At C5-C6, there is a minor disc bulge without spinal cord contact.

At C6-C7, there is a minor disc bulge without spinal cord contact.

The surrounding soft tissues demonstrate normal signal.

Impression C-spine:
Congenitally narrow canal with degenerative changes as described.

The thoracic cervical cord is normal in signal. There is normal height and alignment of the thoracic vertebral bodies. The marrow signal is normal. Multilevel degenerative changes are noted as follows:

At T5-T6, there is minimal disc bulge with hypertrophic changes.

At T6-T7 there is a small to moderate central left disc extrusion with superior migration resulting in mild cord compression. The extrusion also has a small component of central right inferior extension. There is a superimposed mild disc bulge.

At T7-T8, there is a small central right protrusion /extrusion with a suggestion of slight superior extension and minimal flattening of the cord

At T8-T9, there is a minimal disc bulge.

At T9-T10, there is a moderate left subarticular and foraminal disc extrusion, likely calcified or with hypertrophic changes, resulting in moderate left foraminal narrowing.

Multilevel degenerative changes as above, most severe at T6-T7 and at the left T9-T10 level.

The thoracic cervical cord is normal in signal. No abnormal enhancement is identified. The cervical vertebra are normal in height and signal. Multilevel degenerative changes are noted as follows:

At T5-T6, there is minimal disc bulge with hypertrophic changes.

At T6-T7, there is a small to moderate central left disc extrusion with superior migration resulting in mild left cord compression. The extrusion also has a small central right inferior extension. There is a superimposed mild disc bulge.

At T7-T8, there is a small central right protrusion /extrusion with a suggestion of slight superior extension and minimal flattening of the cord.

At T9-T10 there is a moderate left subarticular and foraminal disc extrusion with hypertrophic changes. This results in moderate left foraminal narrowing.

Multilevel degenerative changes as described above most severe at T9-T10

MRI-HEAD W/WO CONTRAST 03/15/2011 13:27 EDT

Reason for Exam

MRI-HEAD W/WO CONTRAST Mar 14, 2011 7:35:43 AM

Clinical Indication: PARESTHESIA, BACK, NECK

Standard MR examination of the brain performed without and with intravenous administration 20 mL Magnevist.

In comparison to the prior study dated 4/8/2010, the ventricles are stable in size and position with cavum septum pellucidum again noted.

Scattered generally nonspecific white matter signal alterations are again identified with no definite change since the prior study. No enhancing lesions or mass effect has developed.

Sagittal images show normal appearance of the pituitary gland,
optic chiasm, and cerebellar tonsils.

The orbits, paranasal sinuses, skull base and mastoid regions as well as intracranial flow-voids demonstrate no abnormality.

A focus of hypointensity in the right frontal scalp is unchanged
likely scarring. Gradient-echo imaging demonstrates no evidence of intracranial hemorrhagic staining. There is no evidence of restricted diffusion.

Stable appearance of nonspecific white matter signal alterations. No new or enhancing lesions have developed. The differential diagnosis again includes a less typical pattern of demyelination versus small vessel disease or previous inflammatory process.

MRI-HEAD W/WO CONTRAST 04/08/2010 15:58 EDT

Reason for Exam

MRI of the brain with and without contrast: APR 8, 2010 3:58:03 PM
Indication: Paresthesias

Comparison: None

Technical Factors: Standard multiplanar multisequence MRI of the brain was performed. Gadolinium IV contrast was administered.

There is a partial empty sella. The midline structures are
otherwise normal.

There are minimal scattered increased FLAIR signal punctate foci throughout the deep and cortical white matter. None of these lesions enhance. There are no areas of blooming artifact. There is no abnormal area of enhancement. There are no regions of acute diffusion restriction.

Paranasal sinuses and orbits are unremarkable. The mastoid air cells are unremarkable, as well.

1. Very few nonenhancing scattered punctate foci of increased FLAIR signal. Although this appearance is atypical, these could represent a demyelinating disease in the current clinical setting. Small vessel ischemia is an additional consideration.

MRI-L-SPINE W/WO CONTRAST 04/20/2010 11:28 EDT
Findings lumbar spine:

The lumbar vertebral bodies are normal in height, signal, and alignment. No abnormal enhancement is seen.

The following degenerative changes are noted:

At L3-L4, there is minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild right facet hypertrophy resulting in minimal right greater than left foraminal narrowing.

At L4-L5, there is a minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild right facet hypertrophy resulting in mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

At L5-S1, facet hypertrophy results in mild bilateral foraminal narrowing

Impression L-spine:
Mild degenerate changes as described.

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 04/10/2013 - 7:44 AM
    Sorry but nobody here can read MRI report as we are just like you, Only your doctor can give you a break down of what this MRI report really means, So really no reason for multiple posts as it won't help, You have to give us info based on what your doctor recommends and what he feels is the problem,

Sorry you have multiple issues to deal with but that's not very new on spine health. Many have complications even after surgery and such,

Just keep post simple in your own words of what was told to you by your doctor so people can relate to it beter,

Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for your comment. I will try to redo my request.The reason for my asking is I have a hearing Monday and my lawyer doesn't seem optomistic. I have two doctors (pain mgmt and neurologist) that have completed the requested forms. My reason for asking is that I have not run across many people at my age (44) with the number of spinal issues I have without resulting from an injury or a surgery. Seven prescriptions and none of them pain meds, all cause fatigue. I have had trigger point injrectionsl,as well as epidurals.Its just so frustrating.

I just wanted to find out how unusual this is. If so, I would like some advice also, especially without pain medications. Spine surgeon basically said there is no onething they can fix becaue of the number of problems.

But thanks again. Your input is appreciated.:)
  • HuggyHHuggy Posts: 321
    edited 04/10/2013 - 9:07 PM
    I'm in my late forties and have multiple spinal problems at different levels. The main ones are as follows.

Cervical: cervical spondylotic myelopathy, severe stenosis at two levels (with cord compression), moderate stenosis at one level and mild stenosis at another two. Herniated and bulging discs, bone spurs, facet joint degeneration and hypertrophy, etc.

Thoracic: I haven't had a T-spine MRI done, but from the C-spine scan the doctor noted bulging discs. Other than that no problem, as far as I know!

Lumbar: basically L3-4-5-S1 is a complete mess, with severe spondylosis, severe central and foraminal stenosis, marked degenerative facet arthropathy, several herniated and bulging discs, bone spurs, retrolisthesis, etc. There is 'severe collapse' at L5-S1, modic (endplate) changes at two levels, scar tissue adhesions (from previous laminectomy) irritating nerve roots, etc...

I also have polyneuropathy, and a bunch of other conditions which make my spine pain worse. Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a lot of us here of a wide age range who suffer from multiple spinal problems. For me it started with a severe injury in my mid-twenties; other problems arose gradually following surgery over the next twenty-odd years. So, as you can see, you're not alone! Good luck.
  • tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 04/11/2013 - 6:25 AM
    Hi Irish i hope you dont mind if i call you that,I also get scans like that but when i ask for my result in terms i can under stand and i can explane to my son and family, C3/C4 C4/C5 C5/C6 C6/C7 Fusion also mild thoracic scoliosic i have some narowing of the spinal cord at L4/L5 S1 and a compromise at that level and other spinal problems i cant spell or undstand but i know the effect they have on me . like a few weeks ago i was raelly struggling with sleep witch i am sure that is some thing you know about i put my post up and i got some really usefull tips we . I would like to say about you incontinence i suffer with this too and self caff twise or 3 times a day due to spine dammage but ny incontinence nurse addvise me agaist thease botox injections and i am only 39 she said in the long term they would not benfit me but the dission is mine, so if you dont mind shareing how do you find thay work for you do you still leak, things like that i understand if you do not want to talk about but if you do i would be really interested.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    This holds true not only for MRI reports but any other diagnostic test that your doctor or team of doctors performed on you.
    There are no medical professionals on this site that are qualified to accurately interpret any of those diagnostic tests. That should be done only by your doctor and not even the technician who may have run the test.

There could be many members on this site that have been through so many of these tests that they are pretty accurate, but you dont want to hold your life in the hands of a non-professional.

Take a look at this analogy. Think if it in terms of reading any diagnostic report. The actual images that come back are much harder

The Problem
    You have a 5 year old car that has been giving some trouble recently. Your brought it down to the local service center for
    them to run diagnostic tests.

The Report comes back

MILD - Ok, so there is a problem, but I think it can be fixed by adding some fuel cleaner and changing the engine oil. Easy thing to do, will not cost much. However, if you ignore it, down the line, this mild problem could
    developed into a bigger problem.

MODERATE - Yes, we found a few parts that definitely show signs of wear and tear. I think if we bring it in to the shop, we should be able to do sum tune up therapy, and will probably have to add some engine and transmission medications. If you dont do this, I can almost be sure that this will deteriorate further. Maybe not in a few months, but down the line. Know do you want to be driving at night in a snow blizzard in a town you do not know. All of
    a sudden your car stops dead in its tracks, wont start or anything. Here is where you hit yourself in the head and say
    I should have listened, I should have taken care of it back then

SEVERE - This is not good. I dont think any band aid approach is going to solve the problem.
    Sure, you can continue driving, but I am afraid if you do, you might have some permanent damage. I suggest that we remove the engine and see if we can rebuild it, if not, we are going to have to do a total replacement

When it comes to cars, I think most people can see the picture... Well, its really not that different when it comes to diagnostic tests.

The degree of severity as outlined above, is the same when it comes to MRI readings. Just look at those words and relate them to your situation.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Kristy dyeKKristy dye Posts: 23
    edited 04/11/2013 - 6:05 PM
    Hi! I'm a 38 year old female who found out in 2009 when I was 35 that my spine is screwed up from my neck to my behind! I can't read an MRI but I do recognize a whole lot of wording from yours that was on mine. I had surgery on my lumber spine in 2009 and everything got much worse! By the way all mine is degenerative also. Nothing has happened to me , no tragedy , nothing. They say it's just in my genes! I'm going to private message you some info and would love to hear from you and tell you my struggle for Ssdi which I was approved for and maybe compare symptoms! It's nice to talk to people who understand!