Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Starting to feel completely hopeless

So I have been suffering from SEVER neck, left shoulder and arm pain and very bad headaches also weakness of left hand since August 14th 2012. I had x-rays done, they showed stage 2 degenerative disc disease. I had a CT done it showed this:

C4-5 small posterior disc protrusion without significant central canal stenosis
C5-6 mild right posterior lateral disc osteophyte complex formation and a small posterior disc herniation resulting in minimal central canal stenosis and effacement of the right lateral recess
C6-7 tiny posterior central disc protrusion and minimal posterior disc osteophyte complex formation with minimal central canal stenosis
C7-T1 minimal posterior disc osteophyte complex formation without significant central canal stenosis

I don't know what the CT results mean, but I had been waiting anxiously for my apt with a neurosurgeon which happened today! I left his office in tears! He said that I have a next to normal CT and there is nothing wrong with my neck. He said, after I started crying and while he had his back turned to me and was walking out of the room, that well I guess I'll just order an MRI.

My heart just sank after this appointment, I feel so upset. I swear I'm in pain and not just faking it, I'm a mother of three young boys and would give anything to be able to run and play with them. I'm an active, in shape 37 year old woman, I want to feel good and be alive again. GRRR I'm so sick of this...dirty words

What is wrong with me??? If my neck is "normal" then what is causing my pain? I've done 9 months of chiro, physio and deep neuro muscular massage...nothing works! Scheduled for steroid injections in three weeks...

Please...any insight anyone???
Mother of three amazing boys who wants her life back, suffering from chronic neck/shoulder pain for 9 months.

• This is nothing new, Many times they see nothing on the ct scan but that never means nothing is causing pain, Even the MRI might not tell them what is the true cause, Next would be the mylogram which shows more then the ct and the MRI but often it's not as simple as people think to really find the cause,

That's how many of us started off as you say , We know we hurt like crazy but because they can't see the pain often takes years of pain injections and pt with hope that it gets beter, They know surgery can make a person worse especially if they are not a 100% sure of the cause so you really have to hang in there and realize spine is very complicated even today and sometimes we never find the perfect fix and we have to live this way,

With some luck you get some releif with injection and try anti inflammation meds maybe will help,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • for all the kind words! I guess I just have to trust that at some point some test somewhere along the way will show something! I am located in British Colombia, Canada, so lucky for me I don't have to worry about insurance BS. I just have to find a compassionate Dr that will listen to me, instead of making me feel like an idiot!
    Mother of three amazing boys who wants her life back, suffering from chronic neck/shoulder pain for 9 months.
  • I'm glad to hear that in the end your problem was found and fixed! Stories like yours turns the light back on at the end of the tunnel....cause that Dr today sure burnt it out for me :(