Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Si joint injections

Ok, call me stupid but before xmas and trying to fix back problem i've had for yrs, i came across SI joint dysfunction while searching the web. A lot of my symptoms fit the bill and so i started on exercises to correct my SI joint. Guess what, i now have SI joint dysfunction on top of the original problem. My consultant wants to perform l5-S1 fusion and after steroid injections into SI joint that lasted only 2 wks claims that if I had S I joint dysfunction then the steroids would have fixed it. From what I've read this doesnt always seem the case. What are your thoughts re: fusion of L5-S1 when already have SIJD? What can/should i do to fix SIJD and should i do it before or after fusion? Fusion is an option. I have others (i hope) but that is different story.

Thanks. Knight987

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 04/12/2013 - 2:40 AM
    The fusion is what makes and causes a lot of the si joint issues to become worse because fusion puts more stress on the si joint, I never had this type of si joint issue before my back surgery of the L4l5 ADR then fusion,

Si joint is in the hip area and periformis issues along with si joint problems often arise from back surgery, The steroid injection in to the si joint don't fix crap. It takes away some of the inflammation and you get pain releif is all it does,

Many of the symptoms are so close together as all the nerves in the spine join together in to a horse tail in the lower back often doctors don't know for sure what the he'll is causing the problem when it's not perfectly clear on an MRI,

If you do have si joint issue now and get fusion you will hurt probably 10 times as bad after fusion at the si joint level if that really is the issue,

My biggest concern would be why is the doctor wanting to fuse l5s1 ? What's wrong with l5s1 ? Or does he want to do fusion because he don't work on the si joint hip ?
    That's what I just run in to now knowing I never needed fusion after my ADR because it just made things worse as it's possible now I have performis si joint issues And has nothing to further do with the lower back and spine,

And many spine doctors don't deal with hip si joint problems you have to see another ortho who deals in si joint and performs problems in the hip,

So unless he has a serious reason to fuse the L5s1 he beter have a good medical reason for it, Not just cause fusion is good money maker , Is the disc wore out in the l5s1 ? If it's not and it looks ok and stable forget about it,

You might want to see an ortho and get a ct scan of the si joint and such before jumping in to something you will be sorry for like possibly in my case, Don't hurt to take a look at it,

Injections are never a 100% correct either when they use it to try to find the pain generated, That steroid goes all over and helps inflammation even when it might not be where it was injected. But they won't explain this to you because then they know it sounds like a guessing game, Which in reality it is !

Good luck and let us know why fusion of the l5s1 is considered , Best wishes, Be smart! It's you that pays for it if wrong surgery is done not the doctor,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi alex. Thanks for your reply. I have had problems with my lower back for years. Ever since an inexperienced chiro identified a problem that wasn't there and created one for me. Recent MRI shows left annular rim tear of L5-S1 disc due to disc degeneration. Again, i exacerbated the situation (anyone would think i was into self harm) doing mckenzie exercises ( not good for issues at side of disc). This is why he recommends fusion.

Anyone here had SIJD after fusion and worked it out ? Would be good to know if this can be remedied.