Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Support for Sciatica w/ calf weakness

OK, so long story short, I have L3-L4 herniation, L4-L5 bulge with lots-o-nerve compression on both levels. Pain, is so subjective, and I can deal with it just fine. What I can't deal with is my calf, foot and gluet weakness in my body. I have seriously googled the same "calf weakness sciatica" over and over again looking at the same threads from 4-5 years ago looking for any sign of success or information other than it is a neurological problem. I have even PM'd users from those 5 year old threads just to see if they ever got their strength back. I have come to the end of my resources trying to get information or medical advice on foot and calf weakness from pinched nerves. Reality is that even the doctor will be vague about my chances of having my calf strength back in my leg.

I am still waiting for the authorization to see a Neurosurgeon and the days of laying in bed wondering if ill ever run again are getting longer and longer. Anybody have any advice? Success stories? Recommendations? Thanks Again SH!

• I also have L3-4 disc herniation with compression of the L3 nerve root. I have numbness in my left knee and weakness in both legs. I walk for exercise every day, but my legs get so weak. I have been going to a chiropractor and he has helped me by doing decompression and manual adjustments, but the weakness soon returns. I have not been seen by a neurosurgeon, I am totally terrified of surgery because of all the horror stories I have read about. I am very depressed at this point. This has been going on for almost two years. You are the first person that has almost the exact same thing I am dealing with.
  • I certainly can't pretend to know what's best for you, but i had the surgery and I don't regret it at all. My nerve hasn't fully healed, but that wasn't the fault of the surgery. I am completely pain free (except for the low grade pins and needles feeling in my foot from the nerve damage) and I have the surgery to thank for that.
  • I think if they are forced to do surgery to remove just part of the disc called micro d surgery if it's a real good doctor and does it right you will recover fast, That's my true opinion, Just don't let them push total disc removal with fusion if it can. Be avoided,

Nerve compression yes will cause muscle weakness , Soon as nerve compression is gone you be doing the break dance with a boom box on the corner wearing bling bling as you get a recording contract hip hop dawg Inc ,
    You make it to rich and famous rock star celebrity status traveling the country trashing out hotel rooms sleeping with trashy woman while going through 8 balls of blow dailey,
    Next thing you know you have sexual transmitted disease and a drug abuse going to rehab and broke living under a bridge,

Maybe you should not have surgery ! Look at the risk , Are you ready for all that ?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • so I started decompression this week, gonna hit that s*** hard. I'm feeling better after 2 sessions or ma be I'm just feeling better, still no calf, maby next week. I'll be seeing a neurosurgeon in a week and a half. Hopefully this meeting will at least awnser my questions about nerve damage. I gotta get my calf back! Dude, if you have been waiting 2 years it's time to see a Neuro bro..

Alex, what makes you think I don't already do all that stuff? ;) thanks for the laugh..