Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wound care

Hey all,

Day 3 after surgery and I've noticed a bit of a line of 'stuff' on my lumbar discectomy wound dressing. This dressing was changed yesterday and I was given an additional dressing to change with in three more days before meeting up with my doc next Monday.

What I basically need to know is how much 'seepage' from the wound is normal? At what point do I need to contact my surgeon to say, "Houston, we have a problem"?

There are so many post surgery questions that I have. Really wish there were better support services available after discharge :(

• I have had two micordiscectomy in the last four months. My first one as far as the wound went well with very little seepage. After the second surgery I began soaking my dressing after four days. I called the triage line since it was a Sunday. They prescribed an antibiotic, they had me change the dressing and see my Surgeon on Monday. He drained it and showed me how it needed to be drained daily and redressed. I just finished my last pill yesterday and the drainage had all but stopped. He was concerned about infection, which would require surgery and a couple days in the hospital to fix. If you are concerned call them. Infection is not something you want to deal with. If the wound is red, hot to the touch, smells foul, then get it checked out asap.
  • You should not worry at all about calling your doctor's office. Honestly, don't understand when I read someone with issues or questions worrying about calling their doctor. Remember ultimately who works for who