Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth caused by pain medication!

What am I going to do? I do not know of any pain medication without "decreased intestinal mobility" as a side effect. From what I have read, MS Contin is one of the worst. Has anyone had to deal with SIBO?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• I am constipated BIG TIME I have been on oxycontin and oxynorm and around 8 years and I have been fine with a movicol or two a day to keep things ;;;moving;; in the bowel region .but over the last few months I have not been too good and I have been just resting on my recliner and ended up with a bowel blockage MAGA PAINFULL I am suffering right now .I have been give suppositories but as yes no good I have rested the bowel for three days and no pain ..but today I had a little food and back to evil pain ..is bad because I can't even get comfy on my chair as when I lay down my back and front hurts so much I need to stand and stoop ..its hell !! doctors again next week ! I hope your not in the same situation
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    But I had a bout of Diverticulosis that I believe was caused by extended use of pain meds. Very painful spent 4 days in the hospital. Be careful! I use stool softeners daily. I'm recovering from surgery 4 weeks ago. The last thing I need is another bout with that.
  • There are antibiotics (the one prescribed is over $1,000.00) which can kill the overgrowth. However, unless you find the underlying cause, it will return. In my case the prescribed pain medications are the problem. I cannot find any pain medication that does not slow down the bowels. I have not researched the pain pump. Please reply if you know anything about this.