Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Anterior Cevical Disectomy Fusion

Hi i am 5 weeks after a 4 fusion of C4-C7 I have big problems swallowing. food pills Liguid is fine, I choke if i eat, What do i need to do
Sissy D

• First, let me welcome you to Spine Health.
    There are many friendly people here and lots of us have had ACDF so can sympathise with you.

I had my ACDF of C3/4/5 5 months ago and had swallowing problems for a while. Strangely, I found water quite difficult and thicker liquids were easier to swallow. I used to take tablets by using a thick liquid like a smoothie.
    Ice cream was the absolute best thing to eat and used to go down easily.
    I found that food with a sauce was easier than without a sauce. I remember particularly enjoying spaghetti bolognaise! :-)

Even once my swallowing got easier, I used to make strange noises when I swallowed. Sometimes a 'croak' and sometimes a 'squeak'. I was seen by a speech therapist who felt that things should settle down. I still 'squeak' sometimes.
    I have lost my singing voice and even my speaking voice goes hoarse sometimes, especially is I talk for long with a loud voice. I am now being referred to an ENT surgeon. I hope that there will just be some exercises that I can do to improve things.

I think you will find that things will get easier with time, but if you don't see improvement soon, please do let your surgeon know.

Do stay and get to know us. :-) Having support while you are recovering is a great help and passes the time too.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi there, Sissy:

I also had some initial swallowing issues. I limited my foods to smooth foods that would slide down easily. Drinking/sipping water was challenging, ironically, just like for Jellyhall. I had been used to drinking about 100 oz of water a day and after surgery, I could barely sip 8oz a day and many days, I just didn't.

I found things like applesauce, mashed potatoes, smoothies, and cream of wheat and yogurt went down easily. I didn't try ice cream, but I did have fruit juice popsicles and that was fine. Real food was definitely challenging. Crackers and breads - FORGET IT!

For me, I think those challenges lasted about a month.
    I used applesauce to take laxatives (which I did need), but not pain meds - because I was never in pain and didn't need them.

It sounds like it just may take some extra time for the muscles and the area in general to heal.
    Stay calm. I say that because I noticed for myself that when I first felt the challenge of swallowing, I know the instinct is to panic - and I knew that the stress and anxiety couldn't be helpful. It probably tightened things up even further.

What did your surgeon say about this? Have you told him/her? Does s/he seem concerned?

Everyone heals differently. I lost my voice - completely - for 35 days! DAYS! But, I had no pain and no sore throat. My surgeon told me that was definitely a record. I just went with the flow and finally - after 35 days, it started to come back. My point is that everyone heals differently.

I know it seems like a long time, but it will likely ease up.

Please keep us posted!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Same here, Sissy. It took a while to swallow properly and like the others, soft foods and liquids were the order of the day. It's really a brutal surgery to go through, and hopefully things will get easier very soon.

Like Jellyhall said, there is a lot of great support here. Best wishes!!

• I had ACDF 4/5/6 in 2009 and had the same issues, it gets better with time and pretty much was back to normal within 6 months for me. Everyone is different.
    Gary Goldsmith