Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long time lurker, finally joins

Hello, My name is Cheryl. I am 50 and was first thrown into chronic back pain in an auto accident in 1996. I was T boned, tossed across 1 lane and up onto the sidewalk.

If I posted everything medical since then we 'd be here forever, so here's the "reader's digest " of what I can remember.

Physical Therapy 3+ times
Pysiotherapy 3 times
Chronic Pain Dr. 12 yrs patient
MRIs CT scans
Steriod inj for a decade, Nerve Burns 3 yrs.
Disectomy L4/ L5, decompression laminectomy, fusion 9/10 failed, however no longer needed cane until now
SIJD fusion reccomended

Drugs, too many to list 10+ strongest being fentanyl patches 75 mg.

Currently spending most of the day in bed.

• ...about what you have gone through.

Are you going to plan for the surgery? It sounds like it is hopeful that it could provide some relief, yes?

I had cervical fusion in October, so it is not like anything you are dealing with, but I wanted to respond.

Welcome and please keep us posted. There are a lot of really nice, helpful people on this site.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Sounds like you are truly having a difficult time. You've come to the right place. I know for most people, most of us spiney's recommend postponing or not having surgery if at all possible, but when your life starts to close in to very little more than your bed.... then usually, it is time. I pray that your doctors develope a strong surgical plan and recovery plan. Keep us posted.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have been coming to both the site and forum for at least 2 and 1/2 years. The helpful hints on your surgery forum were what drew me in. I used all of them months later, when I had my fusion. It was a comfort to come here and read common experiance

I am planning a fusion, perhaps in the Fall. I am in lower North Ca., and live 2 or more hrs. From any Dr.s that do fusions. One has done only 4. I have been holding out for closer, and more experiance. I also am holding out for them to build up enough patients for an accurate sucess rate.

In the meantime my conscience tell me to add some muscle to my arms, core and legs so hopefully I can be able to recover and move.

Emotionally I was ready 8 mos ago. Its just my experiance with the fushion has made me cautious and pessimistic. At some point desparation may kick in. You never know what tomorrow brings...all it takes is a trip, stumble etc. To change the game.

I have a nerve burn scheduled for the 30 th of this month. In a couple wks the other side done will be done as well.
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 04/16/2013 - 8:12 AM

I am in Marin County, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. If you need a referral of a terrific surgeon on all fronts - skills, experience, office and beside manner - and a terrific support team, He heads a spine and sports medicine center right here in Marin. feel free to PM me and I will be happy to refer you to the surgeon I ultimately went with instead of surgeons at UCSF.

• I would like to know who you reccomend. I dont really want to go that far but if things go more south I might give in. So yes, please pm me. I would think the ride home after the SIJD fusion would be painfully murderous.

I am on my Kindle because its too uncomfortable for me to be at our homes computer. If you give me the heads up sign, Ill look. The Email on this acct isnt set up on the kindle. ( does that make sense? )
  • with info about my surgeon.