Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Surgery ACDF

So I was wondering how many people have had to have repeat ACDF for above or below your primary ACDF? I had ACDF 4/5/6 in 2009 Now I'm getting the same right arm pain and tingling. Not to the point that I can't stand it by no means but it's starting just like before.
Gary Goldsmith

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    edited 04/16/2013 - 6:52 AM

I had to "resort" to a revision ACDF for multiple returned symptoms and new(er) problems. There are a number of us that had to have revision surgery(ies) done.

Have you had recent diagnostics? Exam(s) - MRI - EMG - etc.? The number one question becomes (if) when should I have a revision done? IMHO (my opinion NOT ADVICE) its when the pain and or other symptoms can no longer be controlled by medication or other modalites (P.T. - T.E.N.S. - Massage - Heat/cold therapy - injections - etc.) After those options were exhusted, I found myself begging for revision surgery (By a different surgeon).

Much luck and good karma your direction,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I had my first surgery in 2009 (c4, 5, 6/7) anterior and then in July of 2011 had the c6/7 refused, posterior. I would never suggest anyone to have it done posterior because, at least in my case....it has caused more problems. I now have nerve damage and may need to have this repaired now (seeing another doctor next week). If you have the 2nd surgery....my suggestion is do it anterior. I believe if I would have done it anterior, I wouldn't have the nerve problems I'm having now. Just my humble opinion. Best of luck to you!!
  • I've not been diagnosed again. The symptoms are starting off just like the first time around. Are the revision surgery heal time as long as the first time around ? I was in a hard collar 7 weeks the first time.
    Gary Goldsmith
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    what they decide needs to be done and/or re-done. In my case I was in the hospital overnight for my initial 2 level anterior only ACDF and went back to work 12 days later. No big deal right? - wrong.

MANY things were done differently before, during, and after my revision(s) that included, two vertebrectomies (corpectomies +) with cage, added a level above, added posterior rods, bone harvest from my iliac crest, 8 days inpatient including 3 in ICU, 12 screws, significant loss of R.O.M., 2.5+ months short term disability, hard collar for 90 days, permenant parathesia, major undesirable changes in life, and permenant disabilities. I guess in ways, I will never fully recover.

BUT again when all other treatment and medication modalities failed, I was begging to have a revision done.

Did you have a cat scan done to review the status of your fusion about 6 to 8 weeks after your surgery? What was said at that time?

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!