Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cortisone injection for pain relief

I had a fracture of L2 about 1 year ago and i'm left with no medication... So I've seen my doctor and he told me Cortisone injection could help for the pain which is moderate but constant.

I would like to know if it works good and how long does the pain relief last.

• Hello- I also have a fracture (pars defect) as well as a herniation, degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. I did go through one round of cortisone injections (3 total injections) but received NO pain relief. Now, I am headed to a MIS TLIF on May 1st (Spinal Fusion L5/S1). Depending on what other conditions you have and how your body reacts, the cortisone injections could last or they may not.... hope you get the relief you need! :)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • MGR22, It depends on the type of pain causing problem the person has.

I had pinched nerves before my first fusion L4 - L5 - S1, and the injections did nothing. I had injections in every joint in my back and never had any relief.

Other people have had good relief, and I know someone who just need an injection once a year and has good relief.

I have done a lot of research and the most relief people experience is for an injury to a nerve of muscle, and not when there is something constant in your body. What I mean is say a nerve gets irritated. If might help that, but if you have a disc pinching a nerve, and when you move it's constantly pushing on the nerve It might not help because there is a constant nerve irritation.

Again it depends. Good luck, Eric-
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • and have for almost two years now. I have herniation's and arthritis in my lumbar and they help the pain significantly,when i first started getting them they only last a month and then would start to wear off. Over time though i've found that the period of time is growing longer. Its been six months now and i'm just starting to have pain returning. I also have rib pain and upper back pain due to herniation's in me thoracic spine and its effective for that as well. I do feel my rib pain come back quicker though.
  • Thank you for the anwser, the pain I suffer often appear from static position like being sit or lay down in a bed, but also if I do physical work or have to transport heavy weight. The orthopedist I was seeing after the accident say the fracture is fully recovered unfortunatly the pain is still there. The pain is moderate it goes from 2 to 5 on 10.
This discussion has been closed.