Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ugh, I am at my wits end

About 18 years ago, I had a wooden garage door missing the springs fall on my head. It fell in the middle of the top of my head and caused me to buckle down. Luckily, I did not loose consciousness. However as the years have gone on, I have had my neck and back get progressively worse. In 2007 I had a fusion at c5-6 and 6-7. It is better but I still have numbness and tingling everyday. My issue now is the lower back. I had a CT Myelogram which showed arthritis at two levels and bulging disks at two levels. They are L3,4,5 and S1. Since November of 2012, I have had excruciating pain in my lower back and hip.I have had epidurals and nerve blocks at all levels. I still do have pain down the back of my right leg and right hip as well. Nothing seems to work. I went to a surgeon today and he seems to think that scraping the arthritis at s1 will help me. I feel like I m not very good at describing my pain. And I am afraid that this surgery will not help the root cause of the pain. Also, I have lost feeling in the right leg when I try to walk upstairs. I am about ready to give up. So tired of not being able to do much of anything. Does anyone have any ideas? I am so ready to just end it all by doing something drastic.
Ellen a Benton

• Hi Lnbenton,

First off, welcome to Spine-Health. I hope you reconsider your thoughts. My first recommendation is to call your surgeon's office back just to make sure he has every system correctly logged. I have been guilty myself by not properly conveying everything, just because I tend to get worked up. Make sure he knows about the pain, numbness, tingling, etc.

It's certainly the norm for most all of us to be depressed about our situations. I encourage you to talk with anyone that you feel can help you, whether it's a family member, a good friend, even a counselor.

I hope you get some kind of relief, and I hope you hang in there. :-)

• Hi there, Lnbenton:

I am sorry you are at a place that is feeling so drastic right now.

I am curious - have you been seeing the same doctor for your issues? If so, have you considered perhaps getting another opinion? It might be time to try to get some recommendations from either friends or from the doctor himself. My surgeon encouraged me to get other opinions before I decided what to do and which route to go. That is the kind of doctor I respect - one who is not threatened by what others have to say. After seeing two other surgeons about my cervical issues, I did finally come back to this surgeon and I am glad I did.

New and fresh eyes may be just what you need.

Also, I understand that you are saying you are not good at describing your pain when you are with your doctor. Let me make another suggestion because I hear this happening often with people when they are with their doctor and they know the clock is ticking. Before you see your doctor again, and when you are feeling pain (which I understand may be all of the time) - sit down and write down the feelings and sensations and pain and where you are having it. Also, note the time of day. Some pain for some people is worse in the morning or evening than at other times. Also, note when the pain changes. For example, you said when you are going up a set of stairs, it is worse. When is it worse at other times? What other activities? Squatting? Bending, Standing for long periods of time, etc etc. Note things like if putting cold packs on it helps to alleviate or numb the pain at all. Etc etc.

If you keep a journal like this and bring it with you, it could really help your doctor out and you will be less likely to forget to tell him something because you will be under less pressure when you initially documented it. I did that for my neck and my surgeon was really pleased to have that information and it really helped hone in on some things throughout the process - and now even during my follow-up visits.

And, as Charlie suggested, perhaps it would help to see a therapist, a counselor, clergy, or even find a local group where you live that may deal with pain and pain management - a pain support group of sorts. While talking about it won't cure what is happening, it may help get you through this time.

I hope these ideas and suggestions help.

Please keep us posted. You will find a lot of really good people on here - many of whom are experiencing or experienced what you are going through now.

10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • I would suggest call your pain management place tomorrow and see if they can refer you to a mental health provider. Mine strongly suggested I see someone and I see her now just monthly. I was suicidal and severely depressed. Things don't happen over nite but someone to vent, listen and give advise and medications makes a world of difference.

I have read a few books that can help put pain into perspective and also have joined a chronic pain class. I am sure those are in your are too. Please look for help. There are many of us with pain, I am so sorry yours is not under control. Please find help, we are here for you too!!!!
This discussion has been closed.