Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op L5 S1 Micro D 3 months

Has anyone encountered success right after a surgery followed by a return of shooting nerve pain later (3months) after a minor movement or heavy day (bending, lifting, twisting). I suppose my question is, does this mean I possibly reherniated the disc, or did I possibly just inflame the area causing some short term sciatic pain that has not subsided yet? It has only been 24 hours, but I have been pain free for the most part and to get the nerve pain back, although nowhere near as intense, still scares me. I will be calling the surgeon Monday, but am filled with anxiety for now. Please help community!

Patrick Draut

• PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 04/19/2013 - 9:09 PM
    My L5-S1 micro-d was a success. 2 years later, I was building the framework of a wall (building construction). Bent over and picked it up. By the evening, I could not walk or stand up and in a ton of pain. It took a couple of months of rest to get back to normal. I never did get it MRI'd so I can only assume I herniated it again because it felt almost the same way as before the surgery.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but:

Since then, I have either reherniated it or just aggravated severely 3 more times and each time, it has knocked me down for a month or two. Then with lots of home traction treatments, slowly, it got back to being pain-free. I'm stupid but I have finally learned my lesson. No more heavy work.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • idk53iidk53 Posts: 21
    edited 04/20/2013 - 7:39 AM
    I had a microdisectomy January 18th of this year, so almost exactly three months ago. After surgery the sciatica was greatly reduced but I now had a burning sensation in my toe and residual backpain. However the pain and sciatic steadly increased as I healed and started to become a little more active. I got another MRI and this one showed that the nerve was still pinched so I need another surgery. But I had pain from the start.

In your case it sounds like you felt great but are now feeling a little residual pain but nothing as bad as pre-op correct? What tends to happen is over time scar tissue builds up and can cause that residual pain but usually goes away within 6 months. Hopefully this is the case with you. I would just take it easy and keep icing.
  • UsedToGolfUUsedToGolf Posts: 37
    edited 04/22/2013 - 3:14 AM
    I think it's way too soon to tell. Give it 6 weeks and see. I remember feeling good for 3 days and then taking a long walk and having the same symptoms. I was so mad; I thought I had reinjured myself, but it went away. Hang in there!
  • You surprise me, Paul. From many of your posts I have gotten the sense that you are very much at peace with your limitations. I would not have expected your setbacks due to those "embarassing" events. But perhaps that was your way of finding out where those limits are.
    I am almost three months post-op. No major setbacks to report, thank goodness. Although I still have sciatica when I sit, and lower back soreness for lots of minor reasons. I am still hoping for a more complete recovery...
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • i was wondering when i would be allowed to bend again... though now concerned about doing anything "heavy" in three months surgeon recommended nothing but walking for 6 and NO lifting bending or twisting until after 6 - post op 4 weeks right now, was S1 L4 - fusion, minimally invasive surgery, i still have serious neuropathy left leg, and left foot (feels like club foot) (anyone else have this????) when went in for RIGHT leg issues...kind of annoying... a twinge of right leg sciatic pain every now and then right lower leg, but only 4 weeks and alot better than pre op.... just insane over the left leg issues...doc said it will heal (months) hard to walk and yet still (my only PT) walking over a mile most days. did alot of "sitting" over the past two days and that hurts more than moving (anyone else?)