Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tens machine

jon123jjon123 Posts: 46
edited 04/20/2013 - 12:10 PM in Chronic Pain
a tens machine blocks pain signals via electrical impulses. i have a chronic muscle spasm in my back, its literally one band of muscle, its very annoying (i have a t8-t9 disc bulge) but this muscle spasm is literally the only pain i have, i dont think i have any disc pain at all. i've just started trying a TENS machine it seems to really help. given that my muscle is in spasm, im assuming this is the spasm-pain-spasm cycle at work, if i persistently use a TENS unit several times a day is it possible to break the cycle and eventually take my muscle totally out of spasm? by taking away the pain part of the cycle, the cycle will stop?

• Hi jon123, have you asked your doctor about Physical Therapy? If you have insurance don't delay getting treatment.
    I am no doctor . . . but based on my wife's experience, you are wise to not get surgery until trying other options, as her discectomy was no help at all. Her pain started as the typical lumbar back pain, but after surgery it later developed into chronic pain with muscle spasms every other day for 16 years. It seems the pain if ignored or inadequately treated developed more intensity (or her brain seemed to pay more and more attention to it) and she wishes she had kept asking for PT (physical therapy) before trying surgery. The TENS sounds good, but if you can get PT too you may find more long-term relief by getting opposing muscles back in balance.
    Weird Pain
  • I have a tens unit and I like it. It kind of loosens the muscles and at least is a good distraction.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
This discussion has been closed.