Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Partial leg paralaysis after XLIF Fusion L4:L5 and follow-on surgery to "correct"

jasonjaxjjasonjax Posts: 2
edited 04/21/2013 - 8:29 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi folks,

I'll try and keep this somewhat from becoming a novel.

I had XLIF surgery in February to resolve ~10 years of pain from DDD. The procedure went as expected with nuero monitoring used throughout the procedure all showing everything ok, but the surgeon couldn't believe the amount of muscle he had to go through to get to the bad disc. I had zero leg issues before the procedure.

I awoke without any ability to move my leg on the incision side with exception of moving my foot/ankle/toes. Three weeks later and very little had improved. Pain levels were easily in the 10 range regularly with tons of narcotics and nerve drugs (neurotin). Surgeon recommends going back in as maybe a nerve fell between the side plate and screws thus compressing it. Surgery goes as expected with removal of all instrumentation except the spacer between the discs.

Fast forward to now, six weeks since the second surgery (2 mo's+ since first) and SOME improvement has been made. A little less pain, more mobility with my leg, but some movements are still entirely impossible. I cannot extend my leg for instance from a sitting position. I can't even move it. I have significant quadricep atrophy even with what I think is aggressive PT three times a week and a deep circulatory massage once a week.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and have any tips on recovery? I believe this is more than just trauma to the psoas during surgery, but again all nerve tests showed good results accross the board.

I'm not looking for blame or anything like that. My doctor has been fantastic throughout this ordeal in my opinion. I am however looking for solutions to my issues. I go see my neuro surgeon next week so I thought this may be a good time to ask around for folks who may have experienced something similar and have wisdom to share.

Thanks for reading,

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 04/21/2013 - 9:47 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery