Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there any way to releive flare ups...

besides with pain meds, bed rest, cold packs, etc....like a shot or something to ease some of the pain DURING a flare up? I have bulging disc in my C5/6 C6/7 along with bone spurs through out my entire spine and 8mm narrowing of my central canal (wat evr that means) I've tried the injections but can't do them. My body has some kind of bad reaction to them. Any advice would greatly appreciated? Thank u in advance....

• I had similar problems. Herniated disc at C6-7 with Spinal Cord Compression. I had gotten a few days of relief at a time from having an adjustment at a Chiropractor. Pretty cheap to at $25 a session. Might be worth a try.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    Seeing a chiropractor once you have identified and confirmed spinal disc issues should not be done. The only time that would be ok, is IF the chiropractor was thoroughly trained in the spinal discs , the spinal cord and how it all works together. There are too many chiropractors that look only to 'manipulate' the body. For some, that could be very dangerous.

This is NOT to say there are not chiropractors that can handle this. But just like looking for a good doctor, you need to look for a good chiropractor.

There are so many injections, one of my favorites is the trigger point. As secondtimesacharm said there are many injections that are not steroids.

Another set of method (since you already mentioned ice/heat and other standard treatments) are

- Use of portable TENS unit. Cant tell you how many times I have used that
    - Aroma and Music Therapy. You need to have an open mind, but many times Eastern medicine works just fine
    - Massage therapy. But like with Chiropractors, you to know one that know how it all fits together.

There are others, such as Acupuncture, but depending on your insurance , that could be costly.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have tried everything listed thus far! As I have been dealing with these issues for several years now! I'm currently seeing a chiro for decompression treatments on a machine (no popping) this does seem to help a little, depending on the level of pain i'm in at the time! And yes I have been informed not to let chiro do any sort of adjustments or popping! However I am not aware of any shots or injections without the steroids? I have a wonderful PM doctor but when I discontinued the steroid injection he didn't inform me of any other treatments...hmm guess I need to do some research. Also the crème sounds awesome with NO side effects that wld be great! I'll be asking my doctor some of these ?'s Thanks so much for ur help!