Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS causing mental stress?

My mom just had a trial stimulator inserted 3 days ago. While it has helped with (upper) back pain (she's had 5 back surgeries), she is telling me she just feels strange. She said that she's not sure if she can handle it mentally. Has anyone else felt like this? She's supposed to go back to the doctor in 2 more days, but I told her to call them now and ask if this is typical/normal. She has suffered so much. Lower back problems eventually led to getting two rods in her back, like when you have scoliosis. Now it's the upper back that hurts.

• pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 175
    edited 04/23/2013 - 7:06 AM
    I have not yet seen this posted from someone but I may be able to relate with what she is saying. I hope that she understands that this spinal cord stimulator is not a fix all, she will still have pain even in the stimulated area if not other places as well. If her lower back problems just started, please let her know it may be from the procedure itself and may pass.

The overwhelming feeling, I know that I originally was (and still think about it because I am only 12 days post implant myself) concerned with what if this didn't work, the trial went so well, what If I'm one of the unlucky ones and something goes wrong. I've just tried not to worry, and when with my doctor or the medtronic rep., ask how he/she feels I am progressing.

Is she taking any new meds since the implant? If so, they may be making her feel a little different mentally. If there was a new med introduced, I'd see if you could change it too help.

I would like to also add this is a huge adjustment for anyone, please have her speak these concerns with her doctor or nurse so she may able to make sense of things and put them to rest.

I have spoken off all reasons with positive outcomes, I know she (with your help) will work this out. Good luck and positive thoughts to both of you.
  • Hi
    Maybe she has the power set to high. It can feel like a vibration that might effect her mentally. I have a lumbar unit and when power is to high you feel all kinds of things. Just a thought might not help any but worth a try maybe