Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Its over, Im finished, Cant take anymore , my old life is gone

Are any of those statements familiar to you? Many of the long term members at Spine-Health have been seeing threads/posts like that for years. In fact , there are members that posted those same words, mainly because they were so scared and new to spinal problems. But today, they are here to help other members.

I am not going to say any of those feelings are unreal and not justified. Dealing with Spinal problems in ways is similar to the different stages patients take with cancer.... You know, The Anger, Denial, Acceptance, etc

We have scores of threads on our Announcement category that cover so many both physical and emotional impacts that spinal problems can have. I started reading a thread today and wanted to point to one of those threads. But by the time I read a number of them, I would have to give URLs for multiple threads.

Instead, I encourage everyone to look at the Announcement section. I am sure you will find a topic that hits close to you.

How do we overcome all of this?

Well, let me start by saying we may never overcome our situations. But instead we learn to live with in and make the most of it. I realized over 30+ years ago that I wasnt going to be the same as I was before. But I never gave up, I always looked ahead and tried different ways in doing things.

For me, at 40, I understood that I had to give up sports, at least the way I know how to play. I was a bit sadden by all of that, but, I was happy for those 30+ guys who still could do it all.

Even before I was 40, I knew I was slowly down, I just couldn't do what I did before. Instead I started to coach both boys and girls youth sports. That was some of my most memorable times. I couldn't do, but I could teach!

I love being outside in the garden, the lawns, you name it (a long time member - Debbie) can relate to this. At first I tried doing what I did before. Move those big rocks, carry bags of mulch around, dig trenches, etc. I paid for each of those irresponsibly actions. I slowly learned to adjust. Not carry those bags any more, letting the tractor or golf cart do the work. My wife purchased a dozen or more urns, so, now our herb garden is all in urns, which means I dont have to get down on my knees to work with it anymore

My situation is just one small example. The message I want to make is that Everyone is going to suffer in the beginning, its very depressing and that is normal. But then we owe it to ourselves, our families and all our close ones to rise about that. If I can see a person with no legs trying everything they can to get up and walk with the aid of crutches and eventually prosthetic legs, then there isn't a person on this site, who can not do the same.

You just Want it that bad and wont let anything stop you

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com