Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

on the brink after microdiscectomy. help

I am now 3 months post op after md on l5/s1. I had a herniated disc for six months prior to my op, but have had back problems for over 10 years. my scans also showed I have DDD. for the first few weeks I felt immediate relief from my sciatica and started walking little by little each day which was a bit of a struggle but got better day by day. i felt like i was on the road to recovery but when i returned to work 8 weeks after surgery i was still unable to sit for any amount of time. i am still waiting on p.t as my doctors have a waiting time of 8 weeks but am due to start in 2 weeks time. i have tried to continue with work but i can not concentrate on any task as after only 15 mins the pain starts and the pressure builds. this morning i have phoned my consultant and am waiting for a phone call from him. i am at a real stumbling block and cannot get past this. i feel like i have gone backwards since trying to return to my normal activites. i still have no social life as the effort it takes to attend my work and the pain because of it. i am now under pressure from my employers but i cant get past this point. my life has turned around dramatically over the last 9 months and now i cannot overcome this situation and i feel my job is close to being jeopardised. im feel under pressure now and don't know what to do. i cant speak to people around me about this because i don't want them to worry and feel the pressure that i am feeling. where do i go from here?

• I hear ya loud and clear. Trying to return to normal activities was tough for me as well. I was back to work & starting PT in 2 weeks post op. I really eased in to both, so it was right about at 4 weeks when I had my first big flare-up and that was really tough as well. I really have seemed to have alternating months of good and bad. 1st month was ok, 2nd month sucked. Repeated month 3 & 4. In month 5 & 6 is when I really felt some major improvement, strength. I was really feeling like I was getting somewhere. Now I statred month 7 with a bit of a flare-up again that seems to be fading but has lasted over a week. It can be so frustrating!!! Its hard to wait so long for improvement esp when many of us think that 2-3 months and we will be back to normal. We gotta work hard for it. When you finally start PT you gotta stick to it & follow instructions. As for work can you set up some kind of standing workstation? That may help. Also talk to your supervisors and let them know you are having a hard time, hopefully they will understand.

Good Luck, post or DM me anytime!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • thanks for the reply once again. im now 12 weeks post op and am due for p.t in 2 weeks. this is longer than id hoped for but not long to wait now. I have only been back to work for 3 weeks and cannot concentrate for any period of time and I can not sit for more than 15 mins and can not stand for more than 30 mins once the pain starts to build and the pressure in my glut and calfs starts to burn. I read posts where people are back to normal after 6 weeks and I am 6 weeks beyond that point and still feel like I have a long way to go before I am anywhere near normal. should I be better than this at this stage. I am only working for 2 hours a day and have done for 3 weeks now but definitely pulled something in my back last night when I woke with cramp again so took the day off. but my employers reaction to this wasn't good. my md has got me out of the intense pain I was in prior to surgery but have had cronic back pain for 15 years now and also have ddd. I have so many things going round in my head I don't know what to do now.