Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mid back pain for 8 months

Hey all, had a mid back pain for about 8 months, I will try to be detailed in my injury, without writing a novel here.

Background: I am 25 year old male, athletic/ectomorphic build no previous back injuries of any note.

Injury: It occured very gradually, I work at a warehouse and I was sitting a lot of the time on a computer and the other time lifting light boxes. First I started noticing my traps were very tight, but that is common so I would massage it out a bit and it went away. After awhile it would get so tight all through my mid back and traps, shoulders (scapula area) especially the left side. I adjusted my desk and it seemed to get better again. Then one day it just came back about 8 months ago, and it has been there ever since, it's not a sharp pain, or a lighting strike type of feelings, it's just a dull ache that gets worse with certain positions, and goes away with others.

Relief: When I sit, I have to lean way back, like in recliner, then the pressure seems to go away after about 10 mins if I am lucky, and I can walk around and if I stay loose, on weekends it really doesn't flare up, but at work it's the worst. I work out with weights, and there is no pain, it feels better once I warm up, and there is NEVER any pain well lifting, I mean it feels better when I lift without a doubt, and stretching also gives me relief. Also when I sleep it is fine, my back relaxes and it feels completely normal until I begin to move around about 20mins to 1-2 hrs till I feel the ache.

Cause: This is what I am seeking still. I have suspected muscle pain alone, but 8 months is a pretty long time to have a sore muscle, and there is signs that suggest its more complicated. For example, when I drink beer or take any drugs that depress my central nervous system I feel much better, and aspirin or NSAIDS do nothing at all, almost feel worse, so that confuses me a bit, because it makes me think it's nerve pain instead.

Additional information: My PT noticed I have a bit of winging in my scapula, I was willing to try anything to get rid of the pain so I strengthened my scaps and have done a lot of weight training to help fix this winging, and it has gradually decreased but on the left side it's a little more prominent, and that is the side that seems to bug me more so I keep working on those muscles but the pain is still there so I am not sure if continuing that alone with yoga and massage will get rid of my chronic pain, 8 months, only temporary relief, any ideas on the cause and ways to treat some of the symptoms until I find a solution, thank you.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery