Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLEASE HELP: Physical therapy after ACDF?

Physical therapy was mentioned before I went home from the hospital. But since I was discharged from the hospital the morning after the surgery, I never saw anyone about physical therapy?

Wondering if there is some PT or exercises I should be doing that would help with the severe muscle spasms I've been having from my left arm pit up to above my left ear.
advertisement

Comments

• No, no, no. Don't do anything. Like Donna posted on your Muscle Spasm post, ask for a higher dosage of the muscle relaxants. This is the time to take it easy. At your follow-up appointment, they'll talk to you about PT then, but for now you're too early out. You can try massages, assuming this is a certified therapist who knows about massages so soon after surgery, but other than that, just try to relax.

Part of the problem might be tensing up due to no keeping up on your pain medications. Be sure to take all the medicines as prescribed (and yes, set the alarm in the middle of the night if need be) to stay on top of the pain and call your surgeon about the spasms. They can up your dose or get you on a stronger one.

Hang in there - it will get better, but you're very soon out of surgery and definitely too soon for PT. You need to get that bone fused.

Cathie
  • see if you can massage the area....
    I spent some time massaging the base of my neck and down the side of my neck - BUT, I kept my neck VERY VERY still.
    It seemed to help a lot.

And, ice -- ice packs helped mine when my neck or shoulder blades got too tight from non-movement.

If you have someone there who can gently do the massaging for you WITHOUT moving your neck, terrific.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I found for me it worked great.

It's WAY too soon for physical therapy though.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • ...I have to say - that helped a lot - as I just stood there taking deep breaths and letting the really hot water hit the back of my neck. The muscles would loosen up.
  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 04/28/2013 - 2:35 PM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I responded earlier, but lost it before posted.

Just realized that tomorrow makes my one week mark. I've been reading about folks walking 1 to 3 days, not happening here. What shoud I be expecting to be able to do?

Is there a sticky here somewhere, that lists what one could expect from one week to the next. If not, maybe we could create one for each week as I sure they would be very helpful guidance for others.

I'm sure I'm repeating a lot of stuff others have asked.

My surgery was moved up four days, so I didn't have the 1 hr consut with the surgeon prior to the surgery to answer all my questions
  • Since everyone is different, Cinbad having a list of what one "should" be doing a certain points in time wouldn't work and could be dangerous. As soon as someone says they can take a walk in 3 days, there are 50 people who say they couldn't walk for a month. I think it would be highly detrimental to someone's psyche to start comparing what they are doing with what you are doing. Every surgery, every person, every reaction is different. All that matters is what you are able to do and what your surgeon has to say about things since in theory he knows you just a little bit more, perhaps. That's my personal thought.

I wasn't able to take walks the first week, either. I could go outside, shuffle around a bit and then come back inside. But DEFINITELY no walking with any intent other than to get the mail from my mailbox. And, I was in absolutely NO pain whatsoever. After my visit with my surgeon at the end of 7 days, I may have walked just a little more - like two doors down - something like that - and back. Heck, I did it in my robe! My neighbors didn't care. :)

I had a friend take me to my surgeon for the 7 day post-op visit and we came home right after. I was really fine, I mostly wanted to take a shower and wash my hair - which was the first time in about 11 days I could wash my hair!! :)

But, wearing a hard collar made me a little cautious. My attitude was that I did not have time to trip and fall and mess things up -- or strain a muscle even while in the collar!

Your body knows - and I imagine soon enough you will be able - but there is no rush or timeline, truly!

When do you see your surgeon for a follow-up? I saw mine at 7 or 8 days and we spoke about what I could do at that time. Actually, I whispered everything because I lost my voice for 35 days! :)

No worries about asking the same questions - we all have. :)

Francine
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'm in agreement with Cathie & Francine, only do as Dr's orders state. After all if you mess up the fine work your Dr performed that is who you must answer to. I wasn't prescribed any PT following my 3 level ACDF back in 2007, had to take it easy wearing a collar and wearing a spinal fusion pac. Then walking just short distances for a few weeks and gradually increasing the distance. Just be careful!
    ranger
  • Thanks everyone. My first appt with surgeon is at 4 wks for x-rays, then 8 and then 12 from what I've been told.
  • I agree with Cathie.............you should be taking it easy. In fact, my neurosurgeon doesn't recommend PT. He wants his patients to do a LOT of walking. Walk, walk and walk some more.

I remember after my very first surgery, which was a L5-S1 lumbar fusion (ALIF), I asked to do PT only because I wanted to get back to work ASAP (rushing myself). He agreed to it given my situation (much younger and supporting a family at the time) and I ended up re-injuring myself and resulting in a revision surgery--with a more painful posterior approach.

Everybody is different........but if I were you--DON'T rush! :-)

Charlie
  • and don't really care to at this point. I have actually been feeling worse for the last three days and my throat is killing me.

Seems likely that I have strept throat or something. Got appt with primary doctor late today. Something's gotta give!
  • Good Luck Cinbad........please keep us posted. :-)

Charlie
  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 05/01/2013 - 11:53 AM
    Just back from urgent care. Learned that I have been blessed with an extreme case of thrush. Doctor said it isn't uncommon for antibiotics from surgery to wipe out all of the healthy enzymes which then allows an overpopulation of yeast to grow. UGH.

I knew something wasn't right because my throat hurts more now than it did after being intubated for the surgery.

More meds but hope to feel better soon.
  • ...and that you are on the road to recovering from that!
    What a pain -- literally and figuratively!

Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Feel better soon.
  • Hi Cinnebad,
    I agree with Cathy, in that my husband literally set his alarm at night to ensure I took my pain meds on schedule. Do this as long as you need to/as your doctor dictates. You will start taking them less often during the day, then during the night, before you know it. My heating pad is my best friend, and I live on it every day. Once in a while, when the pain is really bad, I use ice, but for me, heat is best. Let your body be your guide. Do as your doctor instructs (everyone is different and you and your doctor know you best),
    I'm currently recovering from my 6th spine surgery; this time it was a posterior approach, eight levels, c3-t3. Take it easy on yourself, and give yourself time and patience to heal. All of my surgeries were different regarding recovery time, what I could do, etc. if there is anything i can help you with, i'd be happy to try.
    Heather
  • After 24 hours of using the meds prescribed for the thrush that I had developed as a result of the large amount of IV antibiotics, I started feeling a lot better the very next day - Thursday. Today is the 5th day for those meds and WOW what a difference! I'm only taking a couple hydrocondone and 1 or 2 valium through the day. No need to wake up through the night. It turns out that the majority of the severe pain I had was from the Thrush. That was so severe I wouldn't have minded dying.

I have fibromyalgia and tend to get everything, so I shouldn't be too surprised. Surgery wise the steri strips came off yestereday, the scar is not pretty but looks ok and the remaining pain is manageable. Just have a few pain meds left and they'll be gone within this week.

In fact, I thought it was funny yesterday that my 21 yr old son commented that I was out of bed more yesterday than he has seen me out of bed for the past 2 to 3 yrs! Surgery has definitely helped.

Thanks for all of the support
  • Cinbad -

Gosh, I am so thrilled that you are feeling so much better - and that the problems were not related to problems with the surgery itself.

Regarding minimizing the scar. Ask your surgeon when you can start using some scar oil. I started rubbing some scar oil that I got at Whole Foods into mine about a month after surgery - and it really helped reduce the scar tissue completely. I would gently massage just a few drops.

My sister in England told me that doctors there recommend rubbing a few drops of olive oil for the same purpose. Of course, that was the main ingredient of what I got, including lavender and other natural things.

No one can tell I even have a scar now.

Keep on healing!! :)
    You sound great!

Francine
advertisement