Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year after ACDF C5 C6

StefficatSStefficat Posts: 3
edited 04/30/2013 - 10:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
I'm 1 year to the day of my surgery and doing well. I wonder how others are doing pre and post op. A year ago, I was six months post a horrible car accident, and in bad shape. I had issues with getting properly diagnosed, ended up out of work with two kids, and was losing use of my left arm completely. I thought I was going to have to find a way to deal with it, somehow. I watched my father go through it and I knew it would not be pretty. He got surgery way too late and suffered much more long term damage. I finally found an amazing surgeon and was so excited to be on my way to getting better.
My insurance company tried to decline me the Fri before my scheduled Mon am surgery, and disability said I should go back to work at the same time. Thank goodness, my surgeon and his staff went to bat for me, and the surgery went through. It has been a tough recovery but I'm progressing well. I have so much faith in this Dr. He did not look at me and say, let's wait until your arm and shoulder are completely dead, then we'll see what we can do.
Somehow I ended up with shoulder issues right after surgery and actually just had rotator cuff surgery two months ago.I still have a sick bursitis issue under my left scapula near the upper thoracic spine though. I have read about others with similar issues, I wonder how common all this still is?
I also wanted to say to those that are on the road to recovery to hang in there. Whether it be fighting your doctors to get them to listen, or your bosses, friends, family, insurance co's, the list is endless!! Your health and happiness are worth fighting for, so be your own advocate.

• Hey I'm new to this forum, Stefficat you are giving me hope. This is my 2nd cervical spine surgery. In 2009, I had Prestige disc replacement at C5/C6 which left me with 2 years of left elbow tendinitis now I'm beginning to think it was nerve pain.
    This time my pain started different I thought it was just right shoulder pain then eventually it ran down my right arm severe pain my BP was skyrocketing. I had right scapular pain that wrapped under my right armpit. My doc did a nerve root block at C6 to pinpoint the nerve. It stopped pain down arm but shoulder and all the other pain was the same intensity. One week later I had surgery Dr. discovered I had cervical myelopathy, a fracture at C5 and the screws from first surgery were loose. Doc removed original hardware then did ACDF C4/C5 and C5/C6 with cages of allograft and stem cells now 3 screws and wear a collar for 6 weeks.
    I'm so depressed I had to go thru this again and it's so much more extensive and invasive surgery. I just turned 47 and it breaks my heart that I can't play with my 5 year old daughter like I used to. I can't pick her up. I can't get down on the floor.
    I agree with you about being your own advocate. You have to be. Right now I'm fighting for disability. I also have fibromyalgia, newly diagnosed rheumatoid and depression obviously.
  • StefficatSStefficat Posts: 3
    edited 05/01/2013 - 2:39 PM
    I know how you feel with being down over so many things. As my arm issue got bad I had to have the kids do more chores, stop being active with them, and work was horrible. It gets better little by little. I wish you good luck and a speedy response on the disability front, it's nice to have one less headache.
    I see you're in Texas, I want to know that you guys have been in Boston's prayers after the recent tragedies affecting our regions.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing.