Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have90% blockage C5 C6 Please help with info on whats to come

scuba47sscuba47 Posts: 2
edited 05/01/2013 - 1:08 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My doctor said today that he was amazed he had never seen 90 % blockage like I have.Arms are weak and numbness is 100% just from holding phone 5 seconds we wont even talkpain. Im wondering how bad or extinsive a surgey like this or if anyone would know what they have to do in a situation like this ? HELP Im pretty scared.

• Hi Scuba, and welcome to the forums.

I have symptoms similar to you.......not 100% numbness, but my arms are increasingly getting weaker and it's trouble for me to hold anything up more than a few minutes at a time. I had an MRI yesterday to see what the issues are.

So.......is your doctor a neurosurgeon? An orthopedic surgeon? My "guess", just a guess is that you would need surgery for remove whatever is "blocking". Did the doc say it's a blown disc that is impinging the nerve roots? If that's the case, it's a surgery that is common and recovery is not too bad. I am fused now from C3-C7 in my neck.

Take a look around these forums and look at lots of these threads----you may find some "ball-park" answers here.

I'm just a spine patient and certainly not a doctor......I'm just sharing some insight. Good Luck and feel better! :-)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 05/01/2013 - 7:05 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 05/01/2013 - 10:57 AM
    Welcome. I'm a little confused - what is blocked 90%? Your cord signal? The spinal cord itself?

In any case, it sounds like with the arm issues, you've definitely got nerve problems. I had the same problems before my ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). I had C4-7 done.

First, try to keep calm. Getting all stressed out makes the pain worse. Did your doc say you need surgery? Was an ACDF suggested?

If so, they go in through the front, move everything aside and access your spine. Then they fuse, do whatever else it is they do, then usually add a plate and screws. It sounds horrific, but really isn't. The main thing is to have complete confidence in your surgeon. And I mean completely - you don't want a bad surgeon when it comes to the spine. Personally, I prefer a board-certified, fellowship-trained spine doctor that works on nothing but spines. Mine's an ortho, but some have good neuros.

As you read through these forums, keep in mind that you will find more bad posts than good because those that have successful surgery (and there are many) tend not to come here any more because they no longer need the support that's given here. Another thing you'll find, mostly in the Surgery or Recovery area, is that the anticipation of surgery is worse than the surgery itself. I think all three of my surgeries were harder on my hubby than me - I just went to sleep and woke up when it was over. He had to wait through all the hours.

So, please try and give us more information. The more you can tell us about yourself, symptoms, what the doc said, etc., the easier it will be to help you.

Take care and please post again.
  • I too am confused by what you are saying about blockage.
    From my experience if this is cord compression get it done ASP because the longer you wait the more permanate damage will be done leaving you with spinal cord damage like me which is not what I would wish for my worst enemy's.
    My profile pic show a major cord compression if you enlarge it to use for a example. Most people with compression like mine don't walk anymore. I was lucky and can walk but I have major pain for life.

Good Luck
  • Hi I also had my disc's C3 to C7 compression on my spinal cord , I had 3 surgerys they are all fused now. Mine were so bad they gave me 50/50 change I walk again that was 5 years ago, and I am still walking thank god I do use sticks and I am slow but I still mange to get around. You find that doctors or consultants who ever is doing your surgery they usally are straght up with you so if you scared ask them tell them you concerns, my consutant made me no promise's and he told me what to expect, and he has done all my sugery's and trust him. So like Charlie said having trust in your doctor is important.
  • I haven't been on in a while. I had c5/6 fusion almost 5 years ago. I went almost 8 years with numbness and weakness in the legs, arms and hands. I didn't even know I had a neck problem till 3 months before my surgery. I found out I had 50% cord compression, bone spurs, stenosis, herniated disc and compressed disc. I was back to work in 4 months carrying mail. I still have balance issues and shoulder and leg pains. But, not as extreme as it was. I don't take Ibuprofen every day like I used to. I rarely take anything. So, there is hope. Just keep yourself positive.