Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy post-op 8 months new MRI

Hi all.

Most of you know my story so Im not going to write another novel here. After almost 8 months now I still have some lingering symptoms from the discectomy I had in September.

About 3 weeks ago I got a new small problem. It was a burning sensation that came on when I was relaxing that moved all over my leg. It was not painful but it was quite annoying and it lasted over a week. By the 3rd day I decided to go see the surgeon, I hadnt seen him since November. By the time I had my appointment that problem had faded, but I explained it along with the fact that I still have mild pain & tingling sometimes and that I am still dealing with some internal swelling.

Well I fully expected the usual, Give it some time, the nerves take awhile to heal, all that jazz. Instead the doc ordered a new MRI. Now I am kinda 50/50 on how I feel about this. In one sense it will be very nice to know what my spine is like post-op and to see how the other discs are doing. On the other hand I am freakin out a little bit. Did the doc see something that leads him to think something is wrong? Also the doc didnt say anything like I think somethings wrong, or I just wanna check it out. So that's where I am at.

For the most part I have been feeling pretty good the last few weeks. I have had a couple of days of hard work in the past week and my back reacted pretty well. So I am staying optimistic but am worrying about the MRI showing a small reherniation or loose peice of disc or something. I sure dont want to think about the possibility of another surgery. I cannot even imagine having to go through this whole recovery again. Not yet at least.

The MRI is monday so I should have it all done along with another appt by the end of next week. Ill let you all know how it goes!

Hope everyone is feeling as good as possible today!
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• good luck ben, hope its all ok.
  • results w/ appt weds afternoon
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • No nerve inpingement! BOOM!

I am so happy I was worried about scar tissue causing my lingering problems. I was also slightly worried about the state of the disc, but it healed well with only a mild bulge where the large herniation used to be. No prescriptions no follow-up or nuthin. Doc said to just keep active & obv if anything changes to make an appt.

Its so nice to have the reassurance that it IS just the nerve still causing bouts of burning, tingling and numbness. Thankfully it is usually very mild. Hopefully it continues to get better!
  • happy for you ben. you've always tried to reply to questions I have asked and its good to have someone else that's going through the same but a few months further down the line. Glad all seems to be ok. im going to see my neurosurgeon tomorrow , don't think ill get any immediate answers for my current problems but hopefully he can get me to my goal. look after yourself. take it easy
  • That's great Ben , must admit I am now 3 wks post op and I have had 3 days before today where the pain was awful and just didn't know what to do with myself!
    Today is better so fingers crossed, I think it's far to say there's many ups and downs during progress :-)