Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please report problems and concerns here.
Reporting problems
Spine-Health is now up and running on the new system
Simple Tutorial on how to use the new system

night sweats after surgery?

i have been having night sweats almost every night since my surgery 2 weeks ago. my doc says it is from the anesthesia. apparently the anesthesia effects your hypothalamus...which in turn effects your body temp.

anyone else experience this? and for this long?

also...how do i get them to stop???

tnx for any help you all can give me!
~Becky

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
advertisement

Comments

• patrain17patrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 102
    Yes, it comes with the territory. I remember my last day in the hospital (after a bit more than a week) was probably the worst episode of night sweats I've ever had. I was constantly going from sweats to chills. It was an horrible night following an horrible day. I think I was probably traumatized from what just had happened but anyways, I don't want to bother you with the whole story. I don't remember exactly how long I had them, but it lasted a while. Time will take care of things. They will go away at some point. Don't worry! Have a good recovery!
  • good to hear it is normal. ugh, sounds like you had them pretty bad!

thanks for the support :-)
    ~Becky

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5

• I had night sweats and hot flushes after my lumbar fusion and was told it was from the anaesthesia too.
    I even had a period after more than two years without!
    Things did settle down again, but I seem to remember that I was having the sweating for months.

Good luck with your recovery. I hope you get great relief. :-)
  • ouch2ouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 05/03/2013 - 10:39 AM
    I had terrible night sweats right after my surgery. Every night all night for the first 5-7 days. Seriously thought I was going through menopause at the same time as recovery:D. They did stop though after that.
    Hope your recovery goes well :)
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • MetalneckMetalneck Posts: 1,289
    edited 05/03/2013 - 11:34 AM
    unusual "new" symptoms or occurances. "They" say that the five most dangerous words in the english language are "maybe it will go away" because things that maybe perceived as normal - maybe a problem that is not followed up on appropriately and a problem maybe left untreated. Delays in diagnosis and treatment could have consequnces. Certainly temp changes are a known "lady" issue ... in my case it had to do with my thyroid function and not a lady hormone or post anesthesia syndrome.

Bottom line is when in doubt .... have your doctor check it out. Hopefully it is nothing .... but we need that confirmation to come from a physician ... not a fellow post surgical patient/friend on an internet forum.

With Concern, (maybe too much),(but better safe than sorry),

d
  • thank u everyone for the comments. i did speak to my dr. originally and that is how i knew it was from the anesthesia. the night sweats are finally starting to decrease! nice to know i was not the only one.
    hope you are all doing well!! xo.
    ~Becky

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • In fact several members of the forum recommend satin sheets. I had a major night sweat with those sheets and it took weeks before I was willing to put those back on our bed. I know it wasn't the sheets, but well, I prefer cotton sheets. (Though it is easier to move around on the slick satin)
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had spinal fusion surgery two weeks ago and I am still having night sweats. How long does this last? It is worse than menopause ever! I am not getting much rest. I am also going through a lot of depression. Anyone else out there experiencing these things? What has helped you?

Thank you
  • I was just about to call my doc. when I saw your comment. I have had terrible sweats as well. I will be checking in with him anyway. Thanks for the info. I have been recovering ok I guess. Just frustrating that I cant bend down. I need one of those grabber things. Wish you all a quick and successful recovery.
  • After my surgery in March, L4-5 with disk replaced, I had some sweating, but not too bad. I had a rough time overall in hospital, started running a fever the day after, with headache and started vomiting (quite violently, pretty sure my catheter blew out, but don't remember anything much after, till I woke up the next day. They must have knocked me out with something, I don't even remember them cleaning me up. The nurses were so great, such forgiving and caring souls.

I had a little sweating after I went home (4 days). A week after I got home I got sick again, no fever, but bad headache with vomiting. The following day I was in the shower and had to hurry and get out, started feeling like I might faint (didn't have a shower chair yet, my mom bought me one later that day). I should have just sat on the toilet, but all I could think of was to quickly lay down. Big mistake. I tried to tell my mom I had to lay down, but I only made it across the hall to my doorway when my mom said I collapsed to my knees (I don't remember that, but I do remember falling to my right side very gracefully, like an angel softly laid me down. I don't recall any pain, but my mom called 911 for a lift and assist. I had her help me slide my back brace on, underwear, and partially put my robe on before the medics came. They got me up with no problem. Very thankful I didn't cause any damage. My surgeons office said i was probably fine, and at my post op appt. the following week they said i was walking fine. I'm relating all this to emphasize the importance of taking precautions after surgery. A shower seat is something I wished I would of had ready before my surgery. And maybe I should have just went to hospital, just incase. A couple weeks later I got sick again, but no falling this time. I think it may be sinus/migraine related. I take sinus pain meds as soon as I feel it coming on, so far no more vomiting with the headaches.

I used a satin pillowcase placed under my bottom to get in and out of bed easier, didn't make me sweat like satin sheets do. I had to keep straightening the pillowcase every time I got out of bed, but it was worth the trouble.

advertisement