Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 10: Thrush - How common is it after ACDF?

Had C5/6 & C6/7 ACDF on 4/22 and having been educated on this forum (Thank You!) I was expecting to have a bit of trouble swallowing and a sore throat from the intubation. It was actually much bettter than I was anticipating directly following the surgery. I was happy about that.

Today is Day 10: Strange thing is that the last two days my throat and swallowing have been much worse - increased pain and lots of difficulty swallowing. The pain was driving me crazy, so I had hubby take me to urgent care this mornng (since I can't drive).

Diagnosed with severe case of thrush which is believe to have travelled down my esophagus and is causing the difficulty swallowing. Physician said it is very common following surgeries involving intubation and IV antibiotics.

Just curious how many others have had this experience.

• Happy to report that the excessive throat pain and swallowing difficulties that I experienced after the ACDF surgery have improved after one day of treatment. I was able to actually eat my first real meal since the surgery yesterday without choking and with minor pain.

The throat pain and swallowing difficulties was due to a case of thrush which developed when the antibiotics given by IV wiped out my natural enzymes.

Last night was also the best night's sleep I've had since the surgerybecause the pain has been reduced. YAY!

Just wanted to put this out there for any others that may experience this.

• Just curious, how did they diagnose the thrush. Was it by sticking a scope through your nose and down your throat? The reason I ask is that I was doing fine and improving every day since my ACDF surgery. Then 5 weeks into the surgery I can no longer eat solid foods. I've been to a few ENTs but they are stumped. One refused to scope me. It's been a month now and, needless to say, I am at my wits end.
  • I had a bad case of thrush as well. Good news, it went away. Good luck! Hopefully yours won't last too long.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.