Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mood swings

Is it normal to have mood swings after surgery? After gettingthrough 2.5 weeks of recovery i am now just so emotional its crazy! I had 2 really goodpost op days and was outside, hangingnwith myfamily and I felt amazing. Then yesterday i started having some pain and all this sadness has set in. Crying at stories, feeling sorry for myself, being sad. Tonight imtookma nice shower by myself finally and now im like on this super happy high. What the hell is wrong with me? Is it part of gettin off all the pain meds maybe?
DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.

• ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 05/02/2013 - 8:10 AM
    Yes getting off of the meds can def cause some crazy mood swings. Also it can have nothing to do with the meds. The emotional and mental toll of chronic back pain & surgery can be very overwhelming. You are not alone. I hope you are finding support at home & on these forums!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • lbfrndflllbfrndfl Posts: 38
    edited 05/02/2013 - 9:37 AM
    I have had surgery on my back 10 times, 8 other non invasive (trigger point) injections 2 radio frequency injections and surgery for cancer. Trust me it is very common to experience mood swings. And you are right about meds (depending what you were taking and if you were weaned off of them). Good luck and hang in there.
  • I agree with the above, most likely its a mixture of the trauma and meds. I suggest you let your doctor know. It is in fact common, and you should keep your doctor informed so you can get the best treatments possible. Hope you are feeling better soon (Physically and Emotionally).
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hello HopeInBracelets,
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you as you see what others have replied here. The ups or highs are great aren't they?
    But you know inevitably there are going to be those downs. You just have to ride out the storm girl, it does get better.
    Wishing you well,